WTB ski boat - $15k - SE Michigan-ish

skimtb

• Baller

Ski buddy is having a hard time finding a boat. Has looked at handful of boats, most of which have a unique story to be told over beers...

Anyone know of anything not on ski it again or elsewhere that may be available?

Target price is $15k, could maybe get to $20k for right boat.

Stargazer is desired, so with it is good, or without for less $$ ok too. Needs decent trailer. And not a project boat. Doesn’t seem like tall list, but then again...

Have been looking 97+ nautiques and malibus mainly. Preferring nautique. Some of the malibus are really loud and we ski early am on public lake In close to houses.

Prefer close to SE Michigan but can drive some for good boat.

Thanks.

• Baller
Boat sale for new owners have been at record numbers this year. Therefore, boats sold fast and at higher than normal prices. It isn't surprising that your friend is having a hard time. There are boats out there, especially closed now versions, but he will need to be willing to drive for many of them. Good luck.

• Baller
@skimtb Boats are more expensive this summer and there are fewer really good boats.However I think you need to travel a longer distance to get the boat you want.Road trips are great and you will get what you want at a good price.I buy PRISTINE boats at wholesale prices......If you need help contact me.

• Baller_
@BraceMaker, read the comment on that ad. He's keeping the boat and just hasn't removed the ad. I saw that one back when it had pictures. It was a beautiful boat and I thought it was priced right. I think you can even convert a 2007 Malibu to ZO. I know the LXi could be done and I think the LX had the same setup.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Thanks guys. Not sure if he has called local dealers.

The ‘96 would be spot on if it was a ‘97. Thinking the 14-28 off 30-34 mph wake will be way better on ‘97.

The 02 is interesting too if not saltwater...

Keep it coming.

• Baller

Anyone have experience w the 97-01? nautique with the 5.0 liter vs the 5.7? Assume it’s ok or would not have been option.

30-34mph skiers but 1800-1900 foot course so not super long setup.

• Baller
That boat @Wayne posted is your answer if it has the Monsoon and isn't trashed. That's an outstandingly good price for that boat. Wakes every bit as good as the Nautiques and great tracking. You can quiet those down nicely with $50 bucks worth of hardware from Home Depot.

• Baller
@skimtb I’ve skied a 97 Ski Nautique with the 5.0 liter 275hp engine before. 2000 foot long course at 34mph and no issues. And I’m a pretty big guy. I would sell my PRISTINE (as @bananaron would say) 98 echelon for considerably less than that. I just need to convince my wife to agree we need a new boat.

• Baller

The boat in the link I posted has the non-catalyst Monsoon. I recognize it by the intake manifold and exhaust risers.

If it’s as nice as the pictures look, I’d agree that’s a tough one to pass if I was looking for a boat right now.

• Baller
We used to have 5L SN on the lake. Worked fine up to 34 with adequate room. Very quiet. I always chuckled to myself when I skied behind it it..... Couldn't even hear the engine at the end of the rope just the the rush of wind past my ears (and perhaps swirling in my skull).

• Baller
@skimtb The 5.0 wasn't a GT40. The GT40 is a 5.8. I think stock 5.0 had around 270 hp but less torque. The 5.8 HO has a touch more HP but a lot more torque. The GT40 is the 5.8 but with different heads and fuel injection, meaning over 300 HP with a lot of torque. One issue with the GT40 is that the computer can crap out and that isn't easy to find.

• Baller
@Wayne good call on the monsoon. I didn't see the additional photos he put in the comments. Some of the vinyl is a bit rough on the dash and observer seat, but the price more than accounts for that. That's a 23k boat in this market IMO. Unless it's way trashed and the photos simply don't show that.

• Baller

@UWSkier i had to go back and look, now I see some blemishes but the right person might be able to dress those spots with some work.

In person viewing would tell more but I think it checked all the boxes for the OP.

I’m addicted to watching the Michigan Boats for Sale Facebook group and good stuff pops up there unexpectedly all the time.

• Baller
I agree on the LXI. If the skins are bad save up and find someone good and get them re-done down the road. I think $4k for all new vinyl plus labor (on the outside, assuming the skins are trashed) plus some gel-coat buffing would get you a new looking great ski boat (assuming its mechanically sound).

• Baller

Thanks again.

The response had been on off craigslist for a year or two. I think the interior was shot and he didn’t want to reduce price Appropriately when was inquired last fall.

Now it may be closer in line, after 3-5k for interior purchase price seems ok

@skimtb, are you still looking for a boat? I have a ‘99 Ski Nautique 196 CB coming up for sale soon. It is a Navy masters color scheme equipped with the GT40 and Zbox. It has close to 650 hours. I am located in NW Ohio.

• Baller_

qg7z3lgbqfd6.jpeg

@skimtb, that looks like the old style Response (not the LXi or TXi), correct? If so, those are great boats, ski well, and you could get ZO. Here is my 2009 (LX open bow version).

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I’ve been meaning to do a thread on what/ how I did, just haven’t gotten around to do it. I upgraded from a ‘96 Prostar but the Prostar’s wake was better than my new Malibu’s wake at 28 mph.

@skimtb it is a 17” step over the back wall to the platform.