As long as we are talking safety...

• Baller

150-ish piece kit. Has the basics for cuts, burns, sprains and pain relievers. Since it sits in the heat I toss it every 2 years and get a new one since most of the stuff expires at that point anyway.

I figure if I need more than the above we should be dialing 911 and telling EMS where to meet us.

Also keep a multi-bit screw driver, small adjustable wrench and a dive knife.

• Baller

Tape super glue sunscreen gauze roll ab pads ace bandages rubbing alcohol.

Most of the time it's just banged shins bleeding and you super glue them or put a pad and tape. Ace bandage can be used to wrap a limb to the paddle or light pole even a ski as a splint.

Having been hauled into a boat with a broken leg I will strongly suggest something to let you wrap a body part to a stick. The whole process of being pulled into a boat, then pulled onto a dock and hauled into a car is much easier with less flop.

• Baller
Overtons used to sell a yellow safety bag about the size a cooler made out of heavy duty backpack type material and a couple extra pockets on the sides and top. Came with 4 life preservers, flares and a decent first aid kit. I added a small anchor and rope, duct tape, ~50 odd piece tool kit, assorted hose clamps, a dive knife, mask and snorkel. Weighed about 20 - 25 lbs and fit neatly in the under bow storage of a ps 190.

• Baller
At minimum I think you would want one of those kits with a cross on it, like @thager says. An assortment of bandaids, gauzes and a disinfectant. If I recall correctly, the AWSA safety course recommends keeping a pair of shears in the boat, just in case a boot needs to be cut open.

• Baller

@pregom my experience with those kits is too little of the stuff you need and too much junk you don't. You go through the big square gauzes and bandages and then the antibiotic ointment gets opened and the tape and the rest of the stuff you dump. Maybe the tylenol goes to the wife for a headache.

A few things I forgot about in mine - bottle of saline eye wash and a really good set of tweezers - the stupid tweezers have been used more than you'd think - why people grab a bare cable on the hoist is beyond me. And that eye wash comes in really handy when people put sunscreen in their eyes.