D3 NRG (original) fin numbers

Justin_C

• Baller

I just ordered a 65" D3 NRG off of the D3 page. 350 USD! What a great deal! Anyway, I'm a lightweight, about 140-145lbs and skiing into 32 off at 36mph. I'm coming off of a 2016 66" vapor. I wanted to try something a little different so I figured this would be a good chance.

My question is, where did most people end up with their fin numbers/binding position in relation to stock? I'm up in Canada where our season is short so I want to waste as little time as possible on the changeover/setup phase!

• Baller

Can't help with numbers but also went from a 16 Radar bought at the high of the hype early july 2016 and went to a 16 D3 Quest 45 the next year.I was one of the few that couldn't make the Vapor work.

Is it your first D3 ? All of the Kidder,KD and D3 skis i have ever owned (Redline,FX 7.0,KD7000,Nomad and the Quest 45) were all very friendly right out of the box and needed no major ''out of this world'' tuning.

Hope you gonna like that ski!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
@Justin_C I ski on 66" NRG and like it so much that i bought a backup from their factory sale. I ultimately end up with boot forward one hole and 0.013 forward depth and length stock. 36mph you may not want to move the fin that far forward. I would move the boot first then if it is not turning like you would like start moving the fin forward till it over turns then move it back a little. Enjoy it's a great ski!!!

• Baller

@Andre don't get me wrong, the vapor was a great ski! It got me from a 15 off, 34mph skier to a 32off 36mph skier in 2 seasons but I was always fighting it bouncing on my offside. Tried all of the fin and binding adjustments suggested here and elsewhere. Some made it better, some worse. Fixed my positioning on the ski and still felt uncomfortable. Hard to ski on something when you can't trust it! It is my first D3/KD/Kidder product. All of the reviews made it sound more stable and deeper riding which was intriguing.

@TEL thanks for the help! The 65 is a smaller size than I felt like many people here would be skiing on so thanks for phrasing it relative to stock settings. From what I have managed to find for info, the stock settings seem to be pretty close. That was a thing with the Radar was that the settings people were using varied so greatly. Maybe it was just due to the vast number of people on the ski but still, hard to find a good starting point on that ski.

• Baller

@Justin_C - I picked up a 67" NRG R-1 a few weeks ago. I found the stock numbers worked well. Except wing angle, the stock numbers give 7* for 34ph and 8* for 36mph, I am skiing 34 but found 8* worked better for me. I accidentally took a pass or two at 36 and found 8* was ok but if I was regularly skiing 36 I might try 9*. I have had no reason to adjust a thing, I think my boots might be about a hole back of stock, but I often set my boots back a hole or two on most skis.

Good luck with the ski. I demoed a handful of skis this spring and settled on the NRG, after about a dozen passes I tied my practice PB and felt that with a little time I will be adding a few more buoys.

• Baller
The 1st gen NRG is the only ski I have ever owned that seemed to work for me at stock settings. All my other skis ended up waaay deep and short. The only thing I've done so far on the NRG is to lessen the dft by .002 and increase wing angle to 8. (34 mph)