NEW PROSTAR??????????

dave2ball

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
@GSchmid Unless you are jumping over 230 feet or at high altitude the 6.2L is unnecessary in the ProStar. The 6.0L is awesome and much less expensive.

• Baller
On the website, it says trailer included in base price, then lists single and double axle trailer as options on the .pdf. as $7k and $9k options respectively. I am curious which is accurate, as I assume MC is not tossing in a trip axle as the base trailer.

• Administrators
@skierjp I think it is up to the local Promo coordinator / dealer. As I said somewhere else the 6.0 is the a lot less expensive and the 6.2 is just unnecessary & extravagant unless you jump over 230 or are at high altitude. I think @FWinter will tell you the 6.0 is plenty strong for him to run 41 off.

• Baller
@Horton I understand, the boat I drove had the 6 liter and was fine. The one thing I like that we did at Nautique was make all the boats 6.2 this way even at high altitudes everyone had the same engine and you don’t have tournaments requesting a engine that is not in the area. 1 engine just made it so much easier to build and schedule Promo boats,

• Baller

I love the 6.0 but I will say that the 2020 on our lake which is just shy of 1900 feet has a hard time getting to 36 before the greens with the 4 blade.

Our 2021 gets here soon and curious if it’s the same. We have 3 blade on 2020

• Baller
I would need to try the 6.0 before buying. We have a 6.2 now at roughly sea level in WI and love it so much. So much fun to drive, animal. I mostly course ski but also like to barefoot long line and I am not a small dude.

• Baller
As the 6.2 is Direct Injection, I would personally prefer the 6.0. DI has proven to have reliability and maintainability issues in the automotive world. Auto manufactures have gone to DI for slightly better emissions, and fuel economy, but not having fuel pass by the intake valve has been problematic. Some of the soon to be released next generation engines with have both DI and MPI, and surely will be a nightmare to diagnose/repair.

• Baller

I don't think it's 200 lbs lighter. I thought the block was 80ish lbs lighter.

Question for anyone in the know... does the DI engine use variable valve timing in marine form or is that only for land-based vehicles? @DW do you know? With the torque curve these things are putting down, it almost seems they have to.

• Baller_

Correct on weight difference, aluminum block differential is ~ 80 lbs over a cast iron one, my aluminum SBC is an 80 lb savings over the cast iron one.

@UWSkier - Yes, VVT is part of the marine version along with Active Fuel Management.

• Baller_
With VVT, DI and some displacement hopefully they will look at spinning them a little slower, would be nice to creep back towards the 100:1 ratio of years gone by:-) It does take a lot of power to push the wider hulls down the course.

• Baller_

It seems to me that there were complaints of AFM leading to oil consumption because the lubrication from fuel was not present continually in those cylinders and a sudden activation of the cylinder sort of scorched everything.

I disabled AFM on my Suburban with a Range Technologies device that plugs into the OBD II port.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
At least on my 2016 Denali, AFM is never active at idle. Only when I'm in motion. It always idles in V8 mode. Maybe the new ones are different, but I'd imagine things might get a little lumpy at idle without all 8 firing.

• Administrators
You guys are putting me to sleep. Nobody knows what you are talking about. I'm going to have to get some video of the new boat out as soon as possible so we can get back on topic.