TRA or Prodogy

LoopSki

• Baller
Sorry if its been discussed. Which is better for my boy. TRA or prodigy. He is a small 9yo. Getting 2 bouys at 18. 5 and full mini at 19.5. I have him on a homemade 58" D3 X7. Need to get him on a real ski now.

• Baller
I am in the same boat. My oldest is turning 10 in a week and we got her 63” HO Syndicate Pro. The direction from our pro shop is that it will cut through the wakes nicely without popping the kids up at the wake. With an boot and RTP setup we will see how it goes. We have two other kids who can grow into this setup and while it is expensive we are hoping to get a lot of use out of this ski for years to come.

• Baller

@LoopSki my boy is about the same age and I put him on a Prodigy last summer. He's really liked the ski.

If you decide to go that route and need any help getting one, just let me know.

• Baller

My 15Yo and my 11YO both started on the Prodigy. It is a good ski for getting them going. 11YO is still on it. The 15YO moved to the TRA a year ago and has seen massive improvements in her skiing.

My understanding is the Prodigy is a scaled down F1 shape and rocker made with less expensive materials. The TRA is in essence a soft Senate. The TRA feels, looks and performs like a legit slalom ski for a small person. The Prodigy is a beginner slalom ski imo.

From the sounds of his skiing I would go TRA. You will get more legs out of it and he'll be able to ski on that right up to 32-34mph if he gets there before he gets too big for the ski.

Oh also no matter what you do ... take the wing off before they ski on it. Until they get the speed up the wing is just causing more problems than its worth. I learned this when the oldest was on the Prodigy still. When I finally took it off she had a couple awkward turns and then started skiing so much better. I removed the wing on the TRA before I even put bindings on it and she is getting soooo much wider off the second wake now.

• Baller

My daughter skied a 63" TRA from age 10-12. She was about 4'9 when she got it. She started at long line 17 mph, and had worked her way up to 2 at 28mph 15 off. Worked really well for a reasonable purchase price. FWIW.