ANYBODY REPLACE CARPET WITH SEADEK PRODUCT

bananaron

• Baller
My advice after planning to do seadeck on my last boat and reinstalling carpet. I think decadence on the floor is a better plan. Lots of roughness and glue and the floor under the carpet isn't designed to shed water to the bilge. Once you pull the carpet you have to plan to grind/strip/finish the fiberglass at which point you can carpet or seadeck the vertical parts but you can template out a vinyl loop floor. The vinyl loop let's sand and water drop behind it so occasionally you can roll it up and wash down to the bilge. The sea deck will have gunk around the edges and visibly the unfinished floor.

• Baller
Carpet hides ALOT of imperfections in the floor. Life expectancy seems to be about the same as carpet. What’s wrong with keeping it original and install new carpet? The old school in me has not warmed up to sea dek, it’s kinda like baggy pants.

• Baller
I just finished removing and replacing all the Sea Dek in my 200, spent hours with paint thinner and other solvents to get all the leftover adhesive off and then prepping the surface for the new product.... what a PITA......my OCD may have kicked in after I peeled up the first piece, I would dread having to replace all the SeaDek in a new Nautique after it has weathered for a few years.

• Baller
I recently replaced all of the carpet in the 89 Brendella I am fixing up with a generic version of Seadek. It shows a LOT of imperfections in the floor - every bump is visible. I wrapped it up the gunnels in a similar manner to the old carpet and it lays very poorly. I am likely going to cut it to lay only on the floor and carpet the gunnels. I really like the way it feels and the fact that it does not absorb water. Based on these results so far I won't be using it for the doghouse or any other trim pieces like I had originally planned.

• Baller

@hockdog, I have found acetone works best with removing the adhesive from old Sea Dek. Soaking rags in acetone and letting them soak on the adhesive for awhile before scraping it off with a plastic putty knife works best. I do agree doing an entire boat would be a royal PITA.

• Baller
+1 for replacing carpet. Pretty easy, hides imperfections, MUCH less expensive,lasts as long with good maintenance, etc. I dry may carpet each time the boat is put up anyway as much as possible by walking around on towels or absorbers to get the water out. Yes part of my OCD maintenance but I want as little water in / on my boat at all times as possible.