Early Edge Change

Skoot1123

• Baller

One of the recent "Spraymakers" podcasts got some of my gears turning. (those podcasts rock by the way @TFIN and @Chris Rossi ) There was a comment about an early edge change - ie: before the centerline of the boat. If I understand this correctly it was discussed that doing so would help you start your turn earlier and in more control once you are out at the buoy. (assumption here is that you are maintaining a leverage position and continuing outbound until you start turning around the buoy)

Enter my first couple sets on the water this year. I am doing wake crossing drills to find the most efficient point for me and my ski, done correctly this position will be my muscle memory for the ski year. In other words, I want to get this right. The problem I am trying to solve is me having to pull my arms into my chest after most of the buoys I turn - especially at shorter ('32 off) rope lengths. The podcast tip entered my mind and so I began exaggerating this movement to see how it affected my approach into the buoy and my exit out of the buoy. In my limited exposure to it and most importantly when done correctly, this early edge change seems to slow everything down coming into the buoy and eliminated the need for pulling my arms into my chest.

I am still playing around with this concept and want to fine tune this a bit as the season progresses - but does this approach and early edge change make sense? Or am I chasing some fleeting theory and is not the root cause of my pulling arms into chest right after the buoy?

• Members
There can be a lot of reasons for needing to tighten up some loose line at the back side of the buoy by pulling your arms into your chest, but you're not wrong that drilling early edge changes will certainly help by addressing multiple factors. An early edge change usually helps you start shedding speed earlier so you don't have too much speed in the turn and also I find it is easier to 'stay connected' the earlier the edge change is. Staying connected (or keeping your body traveling on the proper pendulum line) makes the turn so much more natural and rhythmic for reasons I can't articulate with words. Keep it up, find that flow and rhythm!

• Baller_
IMHO and GUT. Edge change happens. It’s a result. Not necessarily a thing to do at a fixed point. Down swing will determine upswing change in direction or edge change. And it allll starts at the gate set up. This sets the rhythm. Example; if you force an edge change at CL without enough speed into that point on the down swing, you will be narrow.

• Baller

Unless you're running very short lines very consistently, changing edges before the centerline is not something that should be in your thoughts. The angle of attack will change naturally as you go behind the boat. You need to stay in the lean long enough to get the width and advance up on the boat for a relaxed controlled turn. Tfin, Chris, and Cale are so good from bouy to centerline that it's possible to make that early of an edge change. They have achieved the speed, and angle very early after the bouy. Of course, they're pros too.

Although posting a video would help see why you're pulling in your arms, my guess is that when you get release from the boat after the edge change, you need to keep your "away" shoulder away. Sometimes it's referred to as counter rotation. It keeps the ski moving outward a bit just before the apex which will keep the line tighter on exiting the bouy...helping control the tail slide of the ski. Hope it helps!

• Baller

@Andre - yes. I think that is a component of it.

Exaggerating the edge change allows me to feel how much speed you need to carry into the next buoy. That has been interesting to play around with, and will continue to do so.

@wish - the playing around with how much speed is necessary touches on your point. I’ll have to think a bit more about the rest of what you said.

• Baller

@liquid d - I am continually playing around with where to make that edge change. That is where this is so interesting to me as it allows me to see what happens as a result of that early edge change. I can see where those at super shortline are more easily able to do this (because of physics). Staying in the lean long enough is crucial - but I believe you can be in the lean and on your "inside edge" going out to the buoy (for a limited time).

I believe you are spot on with the "away" shoulder and keeping it "away" once you release from the boat. I'll have to play around with this one too and see how that affects the completion of the turn.

• Administrators

@Skoot1123

For me it is not about trying to edge change at a specific point but more about doing other things that make the early edge change just happen.

Looking at it from the negative the following things will make you pull long.

1. hips back / lack of structural alignment / stack

2. shoulders leaned over aggressively away from the boat

3. Lack of speed - this goes with what @Wish said about a wide gate

4. Arms not relaxed - bicep strength being used

• Baller
Regardless of the advice good or bad, right or wrong its important that you find a key that works for you. This much is true, if your bombing onto the inside edge out near the buoy line you will never ever find a repeatable way to run short line, and things won't go well if the ski setup is wrong. For me I like to think about getting tall behind the boat, nice and simple.