Financial impact to our sport

LoopSki

• Baller
I think the first industry to be effected is the hospitality industry as restaurants, bars etc are closing or gone to curb side. Next is my industry which is home improvement as we already see lots of cancellations and no one wanting to start a new project. Next has to be the toys. As I have already told the family no spending on non essential purchases. I gotta think boat , skis , tournament participations and ski club memberships will decline. The whole situation sucks and I thought this was all a joke couple weeks ago and thinking it would blow over in a few weeks days ago. Now everyday it's a new day of uncertainty. Hope we can weather the storm!

• Baller
Looking at it glass half-full, I have more time on my hands this spring with concerts being cancelled, rendering me unable to work. I plan on spending lots of spring time on the lake now, so I'm taking inventory on things I could stand to replace and doing some ordering (new handle, rope, maybe a ski?). I'm even thinking this might be a great time to consider a new boat. My assumption would be dealers may want to unload inventory...we'll know in the next few weeks I suppose? A week ago, a new boat was the furthest thing from my mind. I'm rolling this turd in glitter and thinking of it as an opportunity.

• Baller_
@2Valve, correction: they halted 2020 orders. Production of the 2020 C8 would complete to fill existing orders. May open 2021 ordering early. And, it is apparently more an issue related to the previous auto worker strike than other current conditions.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@MISkier - The 2020 production line is also shut down.

If you want to take your 2020 Corvette to tournaments, be advised that neither trunk will hold a ski, so passenger compartment only internal option and if you're taking your spouse or friend then they cuddle with your ski? Also, if you have a current Vette and like to have a cooler behind the seats for those long trips, you can forget about that as well. I do like the car and the mid engine design is superior for handling, but too many things added up against for me.

* No place for my ski in trunk(s).

* No ability to have a cooler behind the seats for long trips.

* My placement in the allocation vs. orders list probably meant a 2021 for me with a price increase.

* I planned to chance this one, but this really is an all new Corvette and there are bound to be some 1st year teething issues.

* For insurance purposes, I have to keep the car in my garage. My C6 and now C7 Corvette(s) just fit and I had to enter and exit at the 1st door stop. The C8 Corvette has part of the air intake on the door and I don't believe in my garage that it would open even to the 1st stop. Even if it did, you can not enter/exit at the 1st stop (tried it at the 24 hours of Daytona).

For those reasons:

I cancelled my 2020 order last month and bought a 2019 ZO6 instead. zx0d14p3ky2o.jpg

• Baller
@Roger - you forgot “only automatic” from your list of 2020 Vette shortcomings. With two kids to put through college sports cars will probably drive themselves before I get one anyway. Sad to see another manual dead and buried.

• Baller
@Bdecker - While I certainly agree that driving a stick is more fun, the auto is faster in every circumstance. Jim Mero and Randy Probst (probably the two fastest Corvette drivers) both say the auto is faster on the road coarse (if you can keep it cool enough). The fast list on the forums will show it's faster in a straight line. The DCT in the 2020 only makes it an even wider gap to the manual. I have always bought the stick version anyway, but this time chose the auto as my wife is done with sticks and I want her to be comfortable driving this car. I actually like the 8 speed quite a bit, my only complaint being the delay when using the paddles. I still prefer a stick, but it's a dying option. Fewer than 20% of Corvette sales are manuals these days which I'm sure played into the design of the 2020.