Passing of Gordon Hall

JeffSurdej

• Baller

It is with a very heavy heart that I report the unexpected passing of our dear friend, chairman of the AWSA Board, USAWS director, owner of SMRR, and long time leader, Gordon Hall. Gordon was in an aviation accident Tuesday, March 3rd. Please keep Barbara, Steven, Bobby, Katy, and the entire Hall family in your prayers.

6ux4bj29zb6a.png

• Baller
Gordon gave so much back to this sport. He for sure will be missed. I am glad I got to meet him a few years ago at NCWSA Nationals. A few of his many contributions are listed here when he received HND from NCWSA.

• Baller
A great friend and mentor. Gordon gave so much to AWSA, NCWSA, and the South Central Region on top of developing numerous sites which host AWSA and NCWSA tournaments as well as regional and national championships. We have lost a true friend of the sport.

• Baller
I'm saddened by this news. Gordon was a good friend and mentor. He sold me my lot at SMRR back in 2012. He became a friend to myself, my wife and our daughter. Fast forward a few years and when I made a career change to work in real estate, he was right there to give me recommendations and advise, always encouraging. We even had the pleasure of doing some deals together. I enjoyed hanging out with him in his office and shooting the breeze about trips to Mexico, flying and water skiing over the years - things we both enjoyed. Gordon was passionate about all of those topics and the conversations we shared enriched my life. Prayers for Barbara, Bobby, Katy and the rest of his family. May his spirit be flying.

• Baller

Here is a news story (this will not be posted but wanted to share with the BOD)

https://www.wistv.com/2020/03/04/multiple-fatalities-following-plane-crash-georgia-officials-say-flight-left-columbia-this-afternoon/

In Memoriam – Gordon Hall, 1957-2020

USA Water Ski & Wake Sports is saddened to learn of the sudden passing of longtime member Gordon Hall. Gordon, 62, of Martindale, Texas, was a multi-time national champion tricks skier, renowned water ski site developer, tournament organizer, and board member for the American Water Ski Association, National Collegiate Water Ski Association and USA Water Ski & Wake Sports. In addition to being co-founder of the University of Texas water ski team in 1976, Gordon was an AWSA three-event Senior Judge, Senior Scorer, Pan American Judge and a State Safety Director. He was currently serving as chairman of the board for the American Water Ski Association and as treasurer of USA Water Ski & Wake Sports. Gordon’s contributions to AWSA, NCWSA and USA Water Ski & Wake Sports cannot not be overstated. USA Water Ski & Wake Sports extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to Gordon’s wife, Barbara, and the entire Hall family during this difficult time. He will be dearly missed

• Baller

No!!!

Who will I b.s. with about tricks, rules, judging, boats, skis, lake developments, local rules, local food, planes - just about anything you can share with a friend who puts you totally at ease? Whose scores will I chase (always bettering my efforts)?

Gordon made me better in so many ways. Thank you for being a great part of my life.

Best wishes to his friends and family. We'll all cherish his impact on us.

Eric

• Baller
Many of you may not know that I was Gordon's partner in 5 ski lake developments. He taught me how to get things done. We had many great adventures in creating lakes and communities around them. I learned many great life lessons from him.

At many tournaments the past 3 years, I always got to talk to him. I am thankful for those special encounters with a kind friend like Gordon. RIP Gordon, a dear friend.

A quick story about a kind gesture of Gordon's:

It was a few minutes after 5pm, which was the end of our water time for us college kids. Although Gordon and his crew were ready to ski, he kindly let us sneak our last skier in, which happened to be me. It could be considered a forgettable gesture, but I'll always remember that. Thank you Gordon.

• Baller
Gordon was such a sincere person who went out of his way to help waterskiers! He was an amazing leader, hard worker, and talented skier! Our hearts ache for his family! I will miss my friend of over 30 years! Our region and entire sport have lost another Giant!!

I agree with all the things said about Gordon. I've known Gordon since 1975 when we started skiing together on Clear Lake outside of Houston. I was starting a ski club at University of Houston and he was still in high school in Houston. His dad owned a marina on Clear Lake. One of the other people on the plane with him was Chris Weber. He was on the ski team with me at UH. Both Gordon and Chris have been good friends of mine since that time. Both had been successful in all things they had been involved in. They will be missed.

• Baller
We had a little happy hour gathering and kicked it off with a toast to Gordon. It was noted that most of the friendships among us at the dock party wouldn't have happened without Gordon et. al. developing our home site Lakes of Katy. Just one of 5 sites mind you.