A little love for the 'other brands'

Keith_Menard

• Baller

I was window shopping on Ski It Again last night and came across this Gekko:

5v3a87nut7z0.png

I have an older GTO that I love, but certainly have a wandering eye for the Mastercrafts...but man...100 hours with a 6.2 in THAT hull? Must be an absolute rocketship...and under 30k.

What are some of your favorite 'other brand' (not big 3) boats and why?

• Baller

Judging by most on this site I would think any Correct Craft other than a 196 was crap.

American Skier: Sexiest damn boat made in the day other than a SN. Good build quality.

Ski Supreme: looked real good. Never skied one but I know they skied well. Ever restring one? My God you gotta pull the deck!

Modern day: Centurion Carbon Pro. I lost a lot of respect for them to can it.

• Baller

Had an 89 supra, 96 to 2008. When looking, I really wanted a Nautique (2001 was my price range) because I liked the more vintage, no-nonsense boxy look, but they were a little pricier. I ended up really liking the supra. The low swooped bow was kind of sexy, the overall style of the boat was way ahead of same vintage 2001s, since after 8 years, the 2001 style was getting a little stale, and the wake was better than a 2001(except for kind of a big rooster tail at 22) Fit and finish was right up there, too.

A favorite "other brand" was the pre malibu flightcraft. Also cool, sleek, low slung and sexy. Post malibu flightcraft only ruled out of this discussion because it was then one of the big 3.

Another low slung eye catcher was the early moomba, except for the goofy windshield. A guy around me still has one and I've been behind it. Respectable pull.

• Baller_
Supra. They were so ahead of everyone with performance and looks with the Ts6m Comp in the 80s. Even WSM touted it as one the the best used slalom boats to look for. It's to bad they didn't hang in there with DD. Their last go at a hull was on par if not better then the big 3 (blasphemy I know). The Gekko pictured is also interesting and a descendant of Supra design. They track better then anything, look fast, go fast, and look cool. If they could have sorted out the wake to make it soft (plenty small) it would have been a centender at a much cheaper price point.

• Baller
Ya, those early SUPRAS are cool! We had a GEKKO at our disposal years ago and from what I remember, it skied fine. I really liked the looks of it too. I had an '85 Nautique, it was ok but lots of problems from sitting, not the boats fault. I also had a '98 BOOMERANG, I loved that thing! I'd buy another for the right price. These days it's mid to late '90's SN unless I go to a ski school, being behind a '19 SN at RINI'S is pretty cool!

• Baller

@swc5150 I have a 2002 GTO as I said...the graphics on mine are much more subdued. I never understood the issue people had with the Gekko wake, I found it to be no issue......and then I tried 22 off. @ALPJr will tell me it's all in my head, but in truth it's all in my talent. He takes such a great angle through wakes he could use a wakeboard boat and not feel it :)

I am curious if anything changed in 2015 from my 02 to soften it up...6.2 zero off for under 30...MAN! I will also say Mark Overby is one of the best people I have ever worked with in any field. He would answer any question I had even though I bought it used and he no longer owned the company. I hope he is doing well.

• Baller

I agree the Supra’s were ahead of their time, looked great and held up well.

While they wouldn’t win any fit and finish awards the Infinity’s foreshadowed some of the treads we are seeing of larger and wider boats. Aside from the ’22 off wake they are fun to ski behind.

@LOTW I also had a 98 Boomerang it was a hoot.

• Baller
@swc5150 i remember someone on here knew who bought it. your buddy got a smoking deal even with the crappy wake. its too bad , it was such a cool boat and svfara took the infinity and made it so much better in build quality. the maim problem i had was how much it rolled in a turn. specifically around turn islands on a ski lake. open water non isssue. it also tracked weird with thr prop and rudder in the middle.

• Baller

That Gekko would be a ton of fun. Not selling my TSC1 for it though. Agree the original Flightcraft inboard was a hot little boat, too. Very fun to drive, very low to the water.

Both boats above pretty easy to bury the nose in a wake...and that's not even some surfer dude's wake.

• Baller
That was the same with Aztecs back in the back. For a few months of one summer we had access to an Aztec Coyote which was almost a submarine if you weren't careful. Boat from the late 90s with the engine from the 80s and a windshield that was more like a wave deflector.

• Baller

My 1993 Ski Centurion Falcon is a stringer up restore job. I had a lot of help from my family and it was a fun project. We enjoy it a lot still. But, like @"Keith Menard" mentioned above, it's easy to bury the nose on this boat too. It has the sloped nose, much like a Ski Brendella. 5cwxik9dfx95.jpg