ZO plus (the new kind)

disland

• Baller

I don't know any pros that use it and I've heard me some numbers and letters over the past year from that level of skier.

Most of the normal skiers I ski with (not pros) like it at 34mph and longer lines but I do not use it personally.

• Baller_

I have rev s with new plus. It is not for those who get on and off the the handle through the load process. If you are a upper body mover you probably will get pulled out of your body position. Bigger skiers that can maintain good load position it should be beneficial. It does come into the course a couple .10s faster then the other standard settings.

Just another 6 settings, If it fits wear it!

• Baller

So....@Glorsen, yes, I'm dazzled by the sheer weight and volume of the text above. But a response that included an answer to the questions asked would be even more dazzling: What does the "+" setting in Rev S do differently that the "+" setting in Rev R. We understand that the Rev S + gate speed as been reduced to be the same as "slalom normal" mode -- so skiers will not enter the course at an unfamiliar/faster speed generated with the Rev R + setting. But please explain "Modified Master gains to - RS_Kp 4.0 / RS_Ki 2.5".

You've defined and provided Rev S values for Kp and Ki above -- but you don't provide the Rev R values or explain how the Rev S modification affects engine rpm and/or boat speed as compared to Rev R.

For what its worth, I can explain what I "feel" when using Rev S "+": The boat is always "right there". I dont feel it gassing me at highest loading into the center line. And I dont feel it backing off rpms as my resistance to the boat decreases. This seems odd because the boat driver hears very quick and aggressive changes to engine rpm while I feel just a constant/consistent - pull. This is great when I'm strong, smooth and controlled. It translates to a great pull. But any mistakes resulting in to much tip grab or tail slide seem to be a lot more difficult to fight through. The boat wins. Anyway, all kidding aside, if you have a explanation of the difference between Rev R + and Rev S +, I'd really appreciate it.

I know Horton and others have taken a crack at explaining the modification in a different thread.

@Gloersen - are you suggesting that the A/B/C/1/2/3/+ would correspond to one of the K variables in your equation? Maybe the letter is Kp and number is Ki? If so, I may have reached peak nerd and that might be the best description I have read regarding how the letters/numbers work.

• Baller

Even though I don't ski in tournaments anymore, I like to have a decent boat for friends I ski with that do.

Just FYI:

Rev S needs the new Puck in order to work, so if you are like me, running dual old Pucks on a 2007SN with Rev R, you need to change to the new Puck and the upgrade.

The new 3-Event ZO Puck and harness is $450 and the S Upgrade is $50.

• Baller
If I'm reading the segment times correctly, Jillian gets smoked the first half of the course using + and gets a bit slower ride the last half. Is that an advantage?? It may be if she got in trouble the first half and needs a little slower second half to run the pass. Of course, perhaps she got in trouble in the first half because she was getting smoked. All segment times are in tolerance using + and not using +. End course times are identical - both a little hot. I wonder if Jillian is 100 lbs. or lighter. Based purely on segment times, it would appear to me that Jillian is better off not using +. Or is my thinking incorrect? Which does Jillian prefer? Obviously, both pulls are legal.

• Baller

Initially I too drew the same conclusion, but Jody indicated this screen shot was coming into the course. The times may have been on the previous pass?

When I use +, I get a 7:14 2 ball time and a 16:95 end. On no plus, get a 7:15 2 ball with a 16:95.

• Baller_

Nope base line no skier and mark hit it on the head times are previous run times.

Just goes to show that there are different ways of approaching the course.

Like I said in a previous post if you are a bigger skier that can maintain a good strong position behind the boat this plus setting may work with out getting ripped out by 450 hp at the gate! Of course dont get behind!

• Baller_

Ok, I'm confused. The posts by @Jody_Seal and @Gloersen seem to directly conflict.

I know Rev R + came in significantly faster than 'normal' and thought Rev S still came in slightly faster than 'normal', but not as fast as Rev R.

The advantage of coming in slightly fast is that the speed control won't have to apply as much throttle to keep the speed from dropping way down, i.e. the stronger/heavier skier won't get hammered as much as the boat coming in only a tenth or 2 hot.

FWIW, I use C1+, but its not quite as good as plain ole trick mode. I may have to try this experiment once the water warms up.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
@ALPJr - I started slalom and jump behind a '74 Glastron tri-hull open bow with a Chrysler 130 hp outboard, so I can relate. The Santa Clara County Water Ski Club begrudgingly let my family join in 1976 with that boat (they really wanted us to have a Nautique or MC) and the most amazing thing to me is that my dad, with zero course or jump driving experience, and driving that dang boat, pulled me up through 36 mph long line and to jumps of about 120 feet. We didn't know any better at the time. Ignorance really is bliss sometimes.