Looking for some Tips

Crystal1204

Hello everyone!

I’m 33, 5’1” and about 120. We just traded in our 2017 super air Nautique for a 2020 GS20. I have been very active in all water sports since I was a kid but mostly slalom the last 5yrs or so. I’m looking for some tips. I am right handed big have always put my left foot forward. I don’t feel like I have a ton of control and it kills my back the way I’m standing. I lean back a lot bc I feel if I stand up then I’m wobbly, get drenched in the face and might go over the front of the ski. I usually ski about 21mph. Can you give me some tips about my stance, posture, feet, speed and the best ski to be using. Thank you!

• Administrators

@Crystal1204 it is hard to give you specifics without seeing you ski.

Read this and let me know what you think https://www.ballofspray.com/home-page/news/54-basic-relaxed-position

Also depending on your ski you might want to go a few mph faster. Just 2 or 3 mph.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Crystal1204 first off welcome to the forum :)

I have had this chat a few times with skiers in the past. I actually can ski both RFF and LFF. i started / ride LFF and will remain that way; however my hip alignment is way better with my RFF . Oddly enough i can only get up RFF double boot in and LFF ( my preferred) i have to start one in and one out ( as my hips wont allow me otherwise; which to me is a big deal, atleast mentally!). I'm 31, athletic and been skiing since i was 3. I ski the course at 30-32mph ( pending time of year) LFF only but do free ski RFF a few times a year for sh*ts. I hear what @Horton is saying and would also never recommend changing now, but i do understand where this is coming from. I also agree to bump it up a couple mph's

"they say" the foot you would "plant" ,say if you were going to kick a soccer ball should be in the front and the one you use to kick in the back. Makes sense; sure. But then i was thinking are there really that many skiers who use their left as their "kicking" leg??

Anyways congrats and the new boat and hope you find some answers this year :)

• Baller
So youve been slalom skiing longer than 5 years, but more focused on it for 5 years and skiing at 21mph? I would definitely speed up a good bit. Are you trying to get through the course, or free skiing? Free skiing I would be at least 26-28 mph. When you start trying to learn the course (1/2 or full) I would maybe slow back down to 24/25. A lot has to do with the size of your ski also, you would need a pretty big ski to go that slow. At that speed you're going to feel like you're sinking, and lean back because of it. A little more speed will get you on top of the water more, and feel more stable. Then you can focus on your position with some of the suggestions above.