NCWSA Hall of Fame

JRush

• Baller
The NCWSA needs help with our history. We are seeking out candidates for induction into our Hall of Fame. Unlike the USAWS HOF, candidates do not need to be US citizens, so more of our athletes are eligible. Candidates do not need to have skied for a team, but may be coaches/volunteers/supporters of a team, region, or organization wide. Many of our nominations so far are from inside of the last 20 years, but the NCWSA is over 40 yeas old. If you have any knowledge of the history of the NCWSA prior to 1995, consider nominating someone. http://www.ncwsa.com/halloffame/

• Baller_

Brent Overmire (@BrentOvermire)

Senior 3 Event Driver

Regular 3 Event Judge

Safety

Chief Official at Michigan Collegiate tournaments

2019 Midwest Region Men’s 4 Overall Champion

Development Clinic Instructor/Official

Michigan Water Ski Association Board Member

Michigan Representative to Midwest Region

MasterCraft Promo Driver

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I will be submitting a nomination for Ed & Carol Walker. If anyone who was involved while they were please reach out and help me create a nomination that encompasses all they contributed to the collegiate side of the sport. Message me here or email mattdpage@me.com

• Baller_

ncwsa.com/halloffame/Nomination GuidelinesThe NCWSA Hall of Fame is governed by the NCWSA Hall of Fame Policies and Procedures.

The submission deadline for the next year’s induction class is December 31st at 11:59pm PST.

All nominations must provide reasoning for the nomination.

To encourage robust nominations we require nominations to be 75-750 words.Due to the length requirement, we encourage you to write nominations in an external document editor to write, edit, and proofread before copy-pasting into the submission form below.Please use the candidate eligibility requirements (see below) to determine whether the person you wish to nominate is eligible for the NCWSA Hall of Fame.All nominations should be submitted through the form below. If the form is not displaying or you are having submission issues, please email the NCWSA at info@ncwsa.com.

Candidate Eligibility RequirementsAthletic CandidatesEligible four years after their last NCWSA tournament.Must have shown spectacular athleticism and ability. It is expected that skiers were dedicated to tournament participation in the NCWSA for at least 3 seasons.Hold(held) conference, regional, or national record(s)Lead their team in scoring efforts.Uses abilities to advance themselves, their team, their peers, and collegiate skiing as a whole.Any other spectacular performance as seen by person submitting nomination.Volunteer or Support CandidatesEligible after ten years of NCWSA service.Must have excellent track record of support and volunteerism that is above and beyond what is expected and leaves a lasting impact upon athletes, spectators, and peers alike.Shown great leadership.Any other spectacular service as seen by person submitting nomination.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_

ncwsa.com/halloffame/Nomination GuidelinesThe NCWSA Hall of Fame is governed by the NCWSA Hall of Fame Policies and Procedures.

The submission deadline for the next year’s induction class is December 31st at 11:59pm PST.

All nominations must provide reasoning for the nomination.

To encourage robust nominations we require nominations to be 75-750 words.Due to the length requirement, we encourage you to write nominations in an external document editor to write, edit, and proofread before copy-pasting into the submission form below.Please use the candidate eligibility requirements (see below) to determine whether the person you wish to nominate is eligible for the NCWSA Hall of Fame.All nominations should be submitted through the form below. If the form is not displaying or you are having submission issues, please email the NCWSA at info@ncwsa.com.

Candidate Eligibility RequirementsAthletic CandidatesEligible four years after their last NCWSA tournament.Must have shown spectacular athleticism and ability. It is expected that skiers were dedicated to tournament participation in the NCWSA for at least 3 seasons.Hold(held) conference, regional, or national record(s)Lead their team in scoring efforts.Uses abilities to advance themselves, their team, their peers, and collegiate skiing as a whole.Any other spectacular performance as seen by person submitting nomination.Volunteer or Support CandidatesEligible after ten years of NCWSA service.Must have excellent track record of support and volunteerism that is above and beyond what is expected and leaves a lasting impact upon athletes, spectators, and peers alike.Shown great leadership.Any other spectacular service as seen by person submitting nomination.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Current Members:

• Rhoni Barton-Bischoff (ROL)
  • Jay Bennett
  • Connie Bergmark
  • Marcus Brown (CSC)
  • Phil Chase
  • Dave Clark
  • Jeff Clark
  • Gordon Hall (TEX)
  • Regina Jaquess (ULM)
  • Tom Murphy
  • Robert Rhyne III
  • Jimmy Siemers (ASU)
  • Steve Tyler
  • Libby Van Treese
  • Ed Walker
  • Carole Walker

MasterCraft - Still the Leader. And Pulling Farther Ahead.

• Baller

Current Members:

• Jay Bennett
  • Connie Bergmark
  • Marcus Brown (CSC)
  • Phil Chase
  • Dave Clark
  • Jeff Clark
  • Gordon Hall (TEX)
  • Regina Jaquess (ULM)
  • Tom Murphy
  • Robert Rhyne III
  • Jimmy Siemers (ASU)
  • Steve Tyler
  • Libby Van Treese
  • Ed Walker
  • Carole Walker

• Baller

Hard to deny that Worden and Asher are strong candidates based on performance and achievement. I bumped in to Aarne Clow at Collegiate Nationals. He is a stalwart of the sport for sure, a big supporter of collegiate skiing.

I'll play along a little bit...

Kristi OvertonBritt and Tawn LarsenLisa FitzgeraldZach MorganErika LangDylan SchafferJason Parades

• Baller

Hard to deny that Worden and Asher are strong candidates based on performance and achievement. I bumped in to Aarne Clow at Collegiate Nationals. He is a stalwart of the sport for sure, a big supporter of collegiate skiing.

I'll play along a little bit...

Kristi OvertonBritt and Tawn LarsenLisa FitzgeraldZach MorganErika LangDylan SchafferJason Parades

• Administrators

I look at these suggestions ( including my own ) I'm wondering if it is more important to highlight the very best skiers or the people that made it all happen.

When he's eligible @JeffSurdej should certainly be an inductee. @LLUSA also.

Goode ★ KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

I look at these suggestions ( including my own ) I'm wondering if it is more important to highlight the very best skiers or the people that made it all happen.

When he's eligible @JeffSurdej should certainly be an inductee. @LLUSA also.

Goode ★ KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Horton This is a challenging dilemma. If you look at current members, we have far more individuals inducted for their volunteer contributions than athletic performances.

I pulled scores and results for both Asher and Worden last night - those two are overdue for enshrinement IMO.

A collegiate organization by nature is high turnover. Given current rules an athlete can be involved with NCWSA from an on water perspective for AT MOST 6 years. To be considered for the HOF, volunteers or supporters must have been involved for at least 10 years, and many greatly surpass that requirement. Due to their longer term of involvement volunteers are likely to impact far more individuals and are thus more likely to have someone pen a nomination on their behalf.

All that being said I think it is equally important to highlight individuals in both categories.

• Baller

@Horton This is a challenging dilemma. If you look at current members, we have far more individuals inducted for their volunteer contributions than athletic performances.

I pulled scores and results for both Asher and Worden last night - those two are overdue for enshrinement IMO.

A collegiate organization by nature is high turnover. Given current rules an athlete can be involved with NCWSA from an on water perspective for AT MOST 6 years. To be considered for the HOF, volunteers or supporters must have been involved for at least 10 years, and many greatly surpass that requirement. Due to their longer term of involvement volunteers are likely to impact far more individuals and are thus more likely to have someone pen a nomination on their behalf.

All that being said I think it is equally important to highlight individuals in both categories.

• Baller

@Horton Yes and no... for example Zack Worden would be a hard case for enshrinement in the USA-WWF Hall of Fame as his career was cut short due to injury. There are also individuals who had remarkable professional careers that did not have overly impressive careers in collegiate water skiing. No doubt there will be some overlap.

See Zack's results at AWSA Nationals:

f0wov5ui0wqj.jpg

• Baller

@Horton Yes and no... for example Zack Worden would be a hard case for enshrinement in the USA-WWF Hall of Fame as his career was cut short due to injury. There are also individuals who had remarkable professional careers that did not have overly impressive careers in collegiate water skiing. No doubt there will be some overlap.

See Zack's results at AWSA Nationals:

f0wov5ui0wqj.jpg

• Baller

Current Members:

• Jay Bennett
  • Connie Bergmark
  • Marcus Brown (CSC)
  • Phil Chase
  • Dave Clark
  • Jeff Clark
  • Scott Greenwood 
  • Gordon Hall
  • Regina Jaquess (ULM)
  • Kelvin Kelm
  • Tom Murphy
  • Robert Rhyne III
  • Jimmy Siemers (ASU)
  • Dr. Tom Strong 
  • Jeff Surdej
  • Steve Tyler
  • Libby Van Treese
  • Ed Walker
  • Carole Walker
  • Zack Worden (ULM)
Edited by Broussard

• Baller
2 hours ago, Broussard said:

Quick bump for this thread:

Can any of you old stalwarts shed some light on Elmer Stailing or Dr. Bob King? 

Just that back in the 70s when I skied at University of Tampa, Elmer, and his wife, Barbara, were pretty much always chief judge, and chief scorer, at every Florida collegiate tournament. Great people!

• Baller

John did his 4 years at UCF before heading off to Law School.

he was part of the UCF winning season with overton, cox (among others) and drove home the nationals win with his jumping. they followed up with a nationals appearance the next year, where he won jump but the team fell short of the title. 

(If Im wrong on any of this plz let me know ppl.....  going off old man memory here)

• Baller

@Horton When UCF won its first title at Lake Walmead in 1991? I believe Swanson was the last skier off the dock and had to beat a big score put out by J.D. Wiswall. I have the recap article handy from the Water Skier if you want to relive the Indians leaving GA in defeat.

• Like 1

• Baller

Swanson was a beast.  I was the 5th round jumper for my team at Collegiate Nationals in 1990 in Monroe.  I was sandwiched between JD Wiswall and Swanson in the skiing order.  Swanson was frickin' intense, pacing around and whatnot.  I think he was both pumping himself up and trying to intimidate Wiswall at the same time.  All I know is he made me anxious as sh!t and my jumping sucked that day 😂

• Like 1