RichardDoane

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller

@RichardDoaneSurprised to see but maybe I shouldn't be that there were not already the two additional outboard stringers in your boat.   I've only worked on mine - (92 Hydrodyne Comp) which was built with the two additional outboard. Assumed all were built that way. Yes they definitely add support for the floor and hull.  Strangely those were the two that went bad on my boat. Mains are rock solid  - but in the process also got another glassing. As noted earlier, removed all the foam as it was terribly placed at the factory and it's so much cleaner without it now.  All wood got three coats before any cloth. Flooring got 2 layers of 6 oz  cloth on top.   You're doing an amazing job on that boat. Keep the updates coming. Love it!  

IMG_7186.JPG

IMG_7735.JPG

• Baller_

They put two small cross drains in both stringers towards the front, and angled the rear ends to allow water to drain back if necessary. They’ll get sealed with resin when the stringers get glassed in. 

IMG_7207.jpeg

IMG_7205.jpeg

IMG_7206.jpeg

@DvarianDan Johnson I’ve never seen an exhaust cross over like that in the bilge. That boat must sound pretty cool. 

• Like 1

• Baller

Man you guys are really going to town on that thing. About your distributor - I also have the better Pertronix igniter in mine, a MSD Blaster coil plus a MSD box and 8.8 wires. It runs very well. But the curve rate. I'd have to take out the base plate but I believe I removed the heavy spring on the mechanical advance weights. So everything's in (advance wise) by 2,500 RPM. I didn't do this under my own advice. His name's Bill Burgess. He was one of the Walt Meloons buddies. He actually came up with the strut angle on the 97 SN. Walt asked him for advice when they were building it. But at any rate he was an old hydroplane racer. He was really into Ford's. He's out from this neck of the woods, Niagara Falls, Buffalo New York area so that's how I knew him a little bit. But that's what he told me to do. I thought hey I'll try it. When I put the light on the timing marks, sure enough He was right.. Runs good .  FWIW (once again I say -  I believe  -  it was the heavy spring without taking the distributor apart)

• Like 1

• Baller

I think both of you guys doing your rebuilds have noted you upgraded your ignition systems.

But, if either of you need a Prestolite distributor from the day, I have one from the late 80's that is still in the PCM shrink wrap. Or, if anyone else has a need for one.

• Like 1

• Baller_

My son is traveling on business, do stringer and floor work will wait until he returns. But today I took some time to finish up the engine and trans mounts. They’ve got new bushings, and are cleaned and lubricated for easy adjustment when we test fit the power train. 

IMG_7240.jpeg

IMG_7286.jpeg

IMG_7287.jpeg

• Like 9

• Baller_

A little glass work began last week with the stringer tails to the transom. 

IMG_7535.jpeg

IMG_7536.jpeg

IMG_7537.jpeg

The multi directional cloth is nice stuff. 

This week was filling any voids along the stringer edges, and beginning to glass sections of the stringer lengths. 

IMG_7567.jpeg

IMG_7568.jpeg

They will hopefully get the stringers fully glassed in by end of next week, and then we’ll be able to swing in the power train in order to locate the engine and trans mounting inserts   

• Like 3

• Baller_

Threaded inserts will go into the wood stringers for the mounts to bolt in to. We’ll put the strut and shaft back in prior and then set the engine in position to determine placement location. The forklift boom makes install/remove pretty quick and easy,  once the inserts are placed they will finish glassing that section of the stringer. 

• Like 1

• Baller
11 hours ago, RichardDoane said:

Threaded inserts will go into the wood stringers for the mounts to bolt in to. We’ll put the strut and shaft back in prior and then set the engine in position to determine placement location. The forklift boom makes install/remove pretty quick and easy,  once the inserts are placed they will finish glassing that section of the stringer. 

Cannot wait for this project to be finished!! Our first direct drive was a 92 shortline comp and we loved that boat. Kept it for 18years, and taught my kids how to ski behind the ole girl. Once the floors got soft, had to trade for our nautique 206. 

• Like 1

• Baller_

the stringers were shaped to fit as close as possible to the hull, then glued in with thickened resin.  we piled weights on them to hold them in position while the mix set up.  any areas that needed additional filler were filled with the same thickened resin prior to the stringers getting glassed in. they are truly works of art.

• Like 1