RichardDoane

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller_

@Dano  stringers may be alright but we’ll remove the foam for better analysis. The pylon bracket will need some love, and the wiring harness is going to get a little attention. Marine plywood and some fiberglass work are relatively cheap and easy. The carpet, rotten floor, and motor box scraping has sure filled the dumpster. 

• Baller
18 hours ago, RichardDoane said:

@Dano  stringers may be alright but we’ll remove the foam for better analysis. The pylon bracket will need some love, and the wiring harness is going to get a little attention. Marine plywood and some fiberglass work are relatively cheap and easy. The carpet, rotten floor, and motor box scraping has sure filled the dumpster. 

Instead of fixing rotten stringers I’ve thought about making a stainless steel channel that would wrap over the top and both sides of the stringer the length of the motor box and forward to the pylon  mount.  In my case it would take a little messing about to get enough room for the engine mounts to adjust for the width of the added steel but I think it would just be a matter of shaving some material off the mounts.  Would leave you with solid mounting points for the motor mounts and pylon.  

• Baller_

I’m glad the engine needed removing, as the transmission is in need of an overhaul. 

IMG_6479.jpeg

We’ll reseal the engine and paint everything pretty. I believe Dr. Jack had the engine replaced at one point in this boat’s life. 

The stringers were a lot worse than we thought. 

IMG_6485.jpeg

I’ll pull the shaft, strut, and rudder in the morning so we don’t have to work around them in the bilge. 

IMG_6489.jpeg

IMG_6486.jpeg

Tomorrow they’ll cut the rotten plywood out of the transom. 

IMG_6490.jpeg

And next week will begin the re-assembly part of the fun. 

• Like 5

• Baller

Go commando on the foam. Don't replace. I removed all mine years ago when doing the same project.  If not pulling a skier the boat is on the lift in the boathouse. If something were to sink it out in the lake  - that's why I have insurance.  Short of an engine explosion blowing a hole in the hull I don't see it happening.     

• Like 1

• Baller_

I finally removed the rudder, steering bracket, shaft assembly so they could finish cleaning up the floor, transom, and remove the exhaust ports. 

IMG_6732.jpeg

IMG_6734.jpeg

Coats of teak oil on the swim step have begun. 

IMG_6737.jpeg

Coats of teak oil on the swim step have begun. 

• Like 6

On 5/6/2024 at 6:04 PM, blakeah23 said:

Love it man! Just got mine on the water and got the mechanical kinks worked out, so now on to the interior. Do you mind sending some more in depth pictures of how the seat bases look, how it is held in place etc? Mostly the observer seat and how that is built would be extremely helpful

My '89 Brendella had the floor re-done & engine rebuilt. The observer seat is missing and we've been using a friggin Tommy Bahama beach chair in it's place.  This has been going on far too long!  I also could use some detailed pics of the seat construction, or links to a place I could have one built, or even a kit would be amazing.  I'm in Yelm, WA on Lake Lawrence, any help would be appreciated.  Glad to see you are still making progress with your boat and look forward to hearing about the finish.

• Like 1

• Baller_

@radarvectors  we have all the old interior pieces that will be copied as the replacements get fabricated (new wood then upholstered). You’re welcome to come take measurements and pics, Yelm isn’t that far from Burien. I’ll post some pics of the old stuff tomorrow. 

• Like 2

• Baller

Looks like this little beauty gets to continue to build her legacy. She was born and raised at Ski West Village. Has lived here since 1991.  She was a promo for her first year and I am the third owner. It was such a good little boat that I had to buy it for my kids to use here and to take to public lakes. After being towed home to sell , JP stepped up and said get that girl back here. It’s gonna be so cool to see that boat back where it belongs. I was starting to have nightmares about her getting out in the big world after living such a sheltered life. She will be on display at JP’s lot next to the lake 3 docks if any of you national skiers wants to see her 🤣

C381AD04-E065-4C65-B99F-94395A6AE2E0.png

• Like 4

• Baller_
Posted (edited)

Yesterday was gasket-scraping, cleaning, and engine re-assembly. Today it gets a spray can rebuild, and will be ready to re- install once the transmission is ready, and the hull/stringers/floor is back in. 

IMG_6775.jpeg

IMG_6774.jpeg

Edited by RichardDoane
Typo
  • Like 9

• Baller_

Coat #4 and I think it’s saturated. 

IMG_6810.jpeg

The engine and transmission mounts have all been disassembled and cleaned. Ready for paint. They are actually in decent shape. Will make adjusting much easier when the power train goes back in. 

IMG_6814.jpeg

IMG_6813.jpeg

• Like 5

• Baller_

The transom plywood replacement started today. We opted for 2 sheets of 1/4” in order to get the curve to the hull fitted nicely. Epoxy was thickened in order to become a better bonding agent. They were installing the second layer as I was leaving. Tomorrow they’ll glass it in. It probably took longer to make all the tension blocks and bolt plates that the plywood panel installation. 

IMG_6858.jpeg

IMG_6852.jpeg

IMG_6854.jpeg

IMG_6860.jpeg

IMG_6859.jpeg

• Like 4

• Baller_

@Horton used to ruthlessly drive that boat up on the beach. The glass was worn so thin we added some new layers on the inside. Gelcost guy will fix the outside once the guts are back together. 

IMG_6869.jpeg

IMG_6870.jpeg

I was telling my son about Dr. Jack and his lake. Braden says we should glass a good picture of him into the interior. Hopefully it won’t be one of him in his American Flag Speedo. 

IMG_3215.jpeg

• Like 7

• Baller_

@EFW  that boat will never be sold again, in that we are getting so deep we're going to need to use it for the next 30 years to get our monies' worth from the overhaul

plus, it's going to be a fun thing to ski behind for a change of pace, I'm a biig fan of the new ProStars, but you gotta mix it up sometimes...

• Like 4

• Baller
1 hour ago, RichardDoane said:

@EFW  that boat will never be sold again, in that we are getting so deep we're going to need to use it for the next 30 years to get our monies' worth from the overhaul

plus, it's going to be a fun thing to ski behind for a change of pace, I'm a biig fan of the new ProStars, but you gotta mix it up sometimes...

You are certainly not going to ski any worse behind that boat. It's a new boat now.

• Baller
4 hours ago, RichardDoane said:

Not to mention , it’s also a fun boat to drive. 

• Like 1

• Baller_
Posted (edited)

The engine assembly is almost ready. Just adding the accessories that make it function. 

IMG_6898.jpeg

IMG_6897.jpeg

@Jody_Seal did I flip this raw water pump around ?   I took it apart too long ago, and now paint covers  any marks I would have made 

IMG_6899.jpeg

Edited by RichardDoane
Typo
  • Like 1

• Baller_
Posted (edited)

Ignition upgrade parts arrived this morning for the distributor. The Petronix kit is specific to the Prestolite distributor, it’s not the same as a typical small block Ford. Always buy their coil I’ve been told. Wrong coils can take out their electronics. 

IMG_6944.jpeg

Edited by RichardDoane
typo
  • Like 2

• Baller_

Trailer swap this weekend. Luckily for us, winter boat storage turns into summer empty trailer storage, so Brendella got pushed backwards onto a 196 trailer while we do the trailer bunk upgrade to the Brendella trailer. 

IMG_6945.jpeg

IMG_6946.jpeg

• Like 2

• Baller
On 6/18/2024 at 7:43 PM, rawly said:

Looks like this little beauty gets to continue to build her legacy. She was born and raised at Ski West Village. Has lived here since 1991.  She was a promo for her first year and I am the third owner. It was such a good little boat that I had to buy it for my kids to use here and to take to public lakes. After being towed home to sell , JP stepped up and said get that girl back here. It’s gonna be so cool to see that boat back where it belongs. I was starting to have nightmares about her getting out in the big world after living such a sheltered life. She will be on display at JP’s lot next to the lake 3 docks if any of you national skiers wants to see her 🤣

C381AD04-E065-4C65-B99F-94395A6AE2E0.png

A couple of very happy girls right there. Let’s just say she loves the wakes of their new Brendella. 
DF5A666E-D31B-4813-956E-C5DC0DC6830B.png

• Like 2

• Baller_

The pylon got some love by the machine shop, removing almost all of the dings and scratches from use and abuse. The metal bracket was so rusty we had a welder re-create it for install with the new stringers. 

IMG_7020.jpeg

The swim step received a light sanding, and one last light coat of oil. Thanks to @ToddA for the donation in the very beginning of this thread. 

IMG_7018.jpeg

• Like 8

• Baller_

They started creating the stringers this afternoon. Another huge mess I’m afraid. 

IMG_7034.jpeg

IMG_7032.jpeg

IMG_7031.jpeg

Both stringers and an extra section in the middle on each outer side could be ready to start glassing in this week. The old stringers had both fractured where they were notched down for the engine mounts. Adding a second layer seems like the right thing to do. 

• Like 3

• Baller_

At one point today, all the pieces of the puzzle were set in place, but then it’s take them apart to fill any voids prior to glueing them together, and then installing the whole thing into the hull, quite a multi step process. 

IMG_7057.jpeg

• Like 2

• Baller_

Correct. Gives the floor much better support, and will really strengthen the hull. 

End of day gluing together of the stringer pieces. Tomorrow will be some sanding/clean-up and then they’ll be ready to situate in the boat. 

IMG_7168.jpeg

IMG_7170.jpeg

IMG_7169.jpeg

@DvarianDan Johnson  the original stringers had broken where they had been cut down for the engine/trans mounting area. We don’t want that to happen again. 

IMG_6485.jpeg

• Like 2