RichardDoane

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller_
@RichardDoane - very true but steel is pretty heavy. Any chance you have some thin wall tubing for that down strut? FYI - our fresh lake water trashes powdercoatings pretty fast, not sure what your lake is like. Agree, love to have that TIG machine...

• Baller_
@MidMOSkier - usually tanks are held in place with some sort of angle bracket, in the case of a Malibu they use plastic L shaped brackets screwed to the floor. Carpet underneath keeps it from chafing and wearing.

• Baller
@RichardDoane I am like you why buy when you can make it yourself and save money. Love this thread about your project. Being from Wa. I will formally invite you to bring the finished product up to Bow lake on a Wednesday and let the Wednesday night crew try it out?

• Baller_

The water test revealed a number of things, beginning with

the need for fresh tune up parts, but also the need for the shaft packing reseal. With the engine cover up, you could watch the lake water just streaming into the bilge. That explains why the boat was sinking in the boat house @Horton ‘s lake. This afternoon I took some time to disassemble, inspect and measure. I’m not sure if we’ll go to the OJ drip less housing, or just reseal the shaft log with the updated Teflon rope style.

The 1.000” shaft has a worn area that’s down to .0965”. Amazing that dirty water over time can be so abrasive.

nk05n00yf2h4.jpeg

tnuh5npdm2ah.jpeg

• Baller

oh my

considering a new shaft? as a restraining collar wont help.

But you could put a streamlined zinc anode below waterline forward of the strut for insurance till then

However changing that hose to a slightly longer length would get the seal on fresh meat.

you've probably already thought of that

• Baller_
yes, that's actually a pretty good price, but with a fresh set of strut bushings, a longer rubber hose to move the packing contact area up the shaft, and some fresh packing rope that boat will be ready for the OJ Legend 4 blade prop instead of spending a bunch of $$$ on drip-less and a new shaft

• Baller
@Timr71 - almost all are either 1" or 1 1/8" - the larger size shafting was mostly used by MC with their "powerslot" gear reduction drives to support the bigger 14"x18" pitch props - the standard 13x13 size props just frankly don't have enough grip in the water to tear up shafting and V8's are smooth power delivery. Ironically no one would use a 1" shaft for a 60 horsepower 4 cylinder marine diesel - too much torque, too few power impulses/rotation and steep grippy prop pitch snaps them more than ski boats.

• Baller

@RichardDoane how are you planning to route the blower hose?

Edit: I missed the original picture where it comes from the left side and passes in front of the gas tank. Never mind! Was very confused by the routing in the Brendella I am restoring.

Very cool thread. Enjoying to pictures of the old brendella! I see you made your own swim deck brackets, but I’m curious if you know if you can by then in ss? Are they somewhat generic? Mine is missing the swim deck, which I plan on building, but don’t have the capability of welding ss. I run my Brendella in saltwater so I don’t think powder coating will hold up very long. Thanks,

Austin