OK, What Am I Really Seeing Here!!!???

skibug

• Baller

I have seen this many times when watching pro events. It looks like at the top of the glide, right before they turn in, they edge out ever so slightly, almost like outside edge pressure, then turn in. The overhead shot really makes it apparent. And, it is definitely an intentional move as it was consistent for this skier at 38. 39, 41. So what do they know/do that they are not telling us.

https://www.facebook.com/sotiris.kyprios/videos/pcb.467203257475639/467202370809061/?type=3&theater

• Baller
I believe that if you video yourself from the same angle, you might see something similar. As we drop the body/hip inside the turn for completing it, the ski reacts going slightly outside before turning in.

• Baller
It was executed the same way on three consecutive passes, I just didn't post the other two. I have seen multiple pros doing the same thing. It is very prevalent in Will Asher's turn in, but I have definitely seen others execute what seems to be the same approach. Pull out, glide, outside edge pressure, THEN...turn in.

• Baller
That is interesting and insightful. So, as most skiers do, when they are too fast in the glide and feel as though they are going to miss their turn in, we fall back on our back foot thinking it will slow us down....but alas...it does not. It just creates more load and poor body position to start the pass. I try to bend my front knee and get over the front, even more, when I am too fast because getting the front of the ski in the water actually slows it down more than rolling back....but...even at that, I still wind up on the back more than I want to be. The small "S" turn is something I will need to try.

• Baller

@skibug is right on track. Its just speed management.

The reality is, the skiers make this move in order to manage speed relative to the boat. That subtle edge away will decelerate the skiers downcourse speed, allowing the boat to pull away a little faster prior to their target point for the turn in for the gate.