Connection and Swing

AdamCord

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Does anyone that is not a tower (over 6 feet) pull this off? Can a short little dude like me 5’8” actually achieve this body position? I would love to say yes but there is some geometry advantages involved with having more height above the pylon. I think. :/

• Baller

@jercrane I should have said I don’t use 1 because it’s too slow for the power to come on. Whenever I try 1 I find myself getting into too deep a lean and then too overloaded to stand up out of the pull early enough.

For your second question, Caldwell is 5’10” and he may do it better than anyone.

• Baller

@AdamCord interesting. I was having this issue yesterday in my first day in the course. Everything felt kind of weird like I was slamming into the turn, stalling out and then getting bent over unable to extend coming into the wake. Free skiing with ZO in recreation mode over the past few weeks I have not had this at all. I was on my trusty old B1 but maybe I need to explore some 2s again now that I’m really trying to execute more of the GUT approach. Hmmm

Not that I’m actually doing any of it right yet :D

Plus based on your last comment if ZO is causing any of my problems then it probably means it’s me causing the problems and not the ZO!

Sigh.

• Baller
Was an A-1 skier the last couple years and felt it was easier on my body and shoulders. Started A-1 this season recovering from a broken shoulder over the winter but noticed I was pulling long. I’m on C-2 now and loving the progress. As long as I’m in the correct body position off the ball it hits me where I need it and can edge change earlier. Started the change with C-1, but found C-2 is the place for me.

• Administrators
@jercrane if it was your first day of skiing balls in a long time I wouldn't overthink or analyze any of it. you just need to go out and try to be stable on the ski and when you get comfortable again you can analyze and get theoretical.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Horton well it was first day in the course. I’ve got 15-20 sets of free skiing under my belt already. Alas I am based in NH where we have to deal with a very strong anti skiing crowd and legislation to go with it. Course access is few and far between.

It has been said about a thousand times before on here but wow skiing in the course is such a completely different sport. I was feeling amazing on my new ski over the past few weeks. Solid on video. Starting to get a better stack. Then wham everything goes right back to s#!t when I got in the buoys yesterday.

• Baller

@AdamCord @Horton

Adam C, Horton and any other of our experts,...

Brutally honest here, it is very difficult to go from a -32 off skier to a -35 or even -38 (gasp) skier.

Trying desperately to do the connection and swing.

One can get away with edging past the rudder line, even through the second wake and make all 6 at 32 off. But forget -35.

Trying all the good parts of a great connection and swing around the pylon and following the handle path while gliding as high as possible but not succeeding (yet) Part of it is I’m sure, not getting enough speed and momentum outbound to trust a body-inside, ski-outside turn.

Here’s the question:

Should I continue to bash away at 34 mph / 32 + 35 off getting only a few miserable buoys ?

OR,...

Shorten the line and slow the boat? To say 32, even 31 mph to get used to swinging high on the boat to get used to that line length???

What say you guys?

...Inquiring minds need to know!,...

• Baller

Lots of wind this morning so water was very rough. Decided to focus on connection and swing by edging across wake and gliding high on boat. Was focused on keeping elbows tied to vest from 2nd wake during swing up. 32 mph @ 28 off.

Should this require much bicep engagement? Or am I way out to lunch?

• Baller
Hey there - read all your stuff on GUT and am trying to better myself in the course. I'm having trouble understanding how to level the ski past CL but pull with the upper body against the boat. Looking over my video from today (22' off at 32 and 34), I need to stand up straighter through the wake. Maybe I'm transitioning my ski too soon (around CL) vs after the 2nd wake? Either way, I don't feel like I'm getting the 'flat ski, pull/lean with the body". Tips?

• Baller

@Liamfm it's going to be tough to make this work well until your gate timing with the boat is better. You need to be pulling out earlier and making sure that you have a tight line when you turn in for the gates, and that you are able to build rope load moving into the 1st whitewash. That is what gives you the swing speed you need to stand up and ride the ski off the 2nd wake.

Keep in mind that the rope load needs to remain high the entire time you've got two hands on the handle. If you find that you don't have line tension as you come off the 2nd wake into the preturn, it means you let the ski go behind you too soon, and you're no longer swinging.

The goal with this is to create rope and ski load into the wakes, so that your angular speed around the pylon is high enough that as you come off the 2nd wake you have effectively turned yourself into a weight on a pendulum, meaning the rope load = centrifugal force, and the ski no longer needs to be on a cutting edge. This does not mean that the ski and your hips start to transition away from the boat while you're swinging. Your hips and ski need to stay under you or slightly in front of you in order for you to maintain your connection.

This video of Freddy Winter shows really well what this looks like from a skier's perspective:

https://fb.watch/v/2gk2MS5fG/

Again this all starts with a well timed gate, meaning you have line tension from a wide point and you have plenty of real estate coming into the 1st wake to generate swing speed.

• Baller

@AdamCord Thank you for your post and link to Freddy's video. It answered so many questions for me.

If you or @horton assembled a compilation of all your responses and coaching tips into one thread or library, I would be willing to pay money to be able to access it. Thank you for giving so much back to the sport.

• Baller

@AdamCord thanks so much for the explanation. I'm working on my start gate as a friend recently said the same thing (only on my 2nd day trying to get wider/sooner).

I'll start there, and pay attention to my rope load. Still learning!

• Baller
Well once again a tip of the hat to Denali and the Adams'... seems to be alot of that going on around these threads. Reread this thread again and the light bulb came on finally. Worked on just getting the ski out of angle, pointing down the lake and moving COM over the ski at CL on the same handle path. Much better, much slower, much more fun. I have struggled with 35 so much this year and have now run it last two times out with 2.5 @ 38 twice. I believe this has been the missing link for me. To the Adams'..thanks again and please do a Denali Summit again.