Better materials = higher price. Downstream effect

aupatking

• Baller

A couple times I’ve considered trading skis with someone, really trading, mine for theirs. An odd dynamic has come up that has stuck in my mind. One of those times I was considering trading an all carbon, pvc core ski for the same, an all carbon, pvc core ski. The other guy ended up balking, with the reason being “that is not their top-of-the-line Build. My thinking is, you aren’t trading me a PMI core ski, we are trading, absolute, apples to apples skis. If I were to be giving you a PMI core ski, I’m giving you a better product than I’m getting.

Is my thinking that far off?

• Baller

@aupatking here,s my view, it really comes down to what ski suits you personally, what ski do you feel comfortable on, what ski do you ski really well on, there are a lot of good skis out there for most people that are not getting beyond 35 Off, so you do not have to have the latest piece of kit to ski well.

What is the point of skiing on a newer ski, that doesn,t work for you, if there is a older ski that does work for you.

I have had skis, that I did not gel with from the get go, couldn,t wait to unload them and yes it cost me a little money, if somebody was on the dock and they had wanted to swap a slightly lesser ski and that ski really worked for me, then I would do the deal.

It is not about what ski you are on, it,s about what ski works for you, the chances are that you would be changing either of those skis within three years anyway.

• Baller

I get what you guys are saying. My point is, the Radar Lithium is the exact same build quality as every top ski from HO, D3, and really everything else except the new Carbon Core Goode. The Pro Build is a higher quality than the rest, but that seems to be lost on the market

I’m on a Pro Build Vapor right now that I have NO PLANS to get off of anytime soon. I just set a tournament PB on it a couple weeks ago and backed it up with the same score the next round. I’m happy where I am.

Like I said, this was some time in the past but something just had me thinking about it.