Custom Fitted Ski Vest

JayG80

• Baller

I just want to acknowledge Eagle Vests (Masterline) for offering a custom ski vest for us non off-the-rack sized guys. I just received my 2nd custom sized Eagle Vest and it fits like it was made by a tailor.

Prior to ordering my first custom Eagle vest over 10 years ago, I bought and returned (or resold) a number of vests while searching for a decent fit. I’m 6’-6” and hard to fit. There was one Quicksilver vest (complete with metal silver star studs) that was so short in the waist that we called it the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader vest. Camaro offers an XXL, it’s a great fit if you have a 42” chest. I would have outgrown that XXL by 10th grade. Eagle is really the only option for me.

Eagle donated a Custom Vest to the recent International Water Ski Team Funding auction and I was happy to be the winning bidder. It’s an added bonus to support our team and upgrade my gear. Thanks to Russell Gay for contributing to the auction and to Eagle’s Randy S and Larry S for getting me fitted.

In addition, I love my 1.125” dia. Masterline handle and 71” Lithium Senate. It’s great that ML & Radar consider the Big & Tall market.

• Baller
I had a custom vest made by Eagle as well. However, the stitching for the center/lower back flotation failed during the first few months of Northern Illinois use. I point that out because I was told it was from over-use. They did fix it for free over the winter, but said it'd only be a one time fix for an over-use situation. I only had to pay to ship it there...which was nice. But it started to fail early the next season again. Otherwise, I did really enjoy the comfort and extra chest flotation I had added to the vest.

• Baller

I am 6'4"@220 and recently bought the New Eagle Ultralite Vest XL at Performance. This vest is so light you don't even know you have it on. Have had several Eagle vests over the years and nothing compares to this. Will NOT hold any water and fits like a Glove. Floats me just fine and absolutely LOVE IT !!!

• Baller

@lpskier My same thoughts. I have a 5yr. old blue Bird of Prey that still looks new. Would buy

again with extra padding but can't stand the new bird emblem. Supposed to be an eagle I guess, But looks like a bluejay or cardinal. Yuck!

• Baller
I appreciate your comments on custom vests @JayG80. I am going to order a couple of custom-fit vest this week. I am kind of amazed that the ski industry does not cater to tall dudes. It seems that a lot of the elite skiers are tall, but yet, the boots don't fit, the high-end skis are shorter, the vests feel and look like halter tops. And now the question of the hour for me. Trying to find a dry-suit and wet-suit that doesn't land at my calfs is an adventure. Does anyone have any suggestions on finding suits that are taller. I am 6 foot 7. @Horton do you have anyone that is a sponsor that caters to that market?

• Baller
@Brady Pinnacle wetsuits. I’m 6’5” and bought a 7mm dive suit a few years ago for putting in my dock/rails in very cold water. they have sizes for tall folks, and I can attest they are true sizes. Ironically, the day it arrived my dry suit seal ripped so I tried it for skiing. Haven’t used my dry suit since. It is very much like the old Ski Warm Sahara dry suit.