How do you track your sets?

Shakeski

• Baller

I would love to track my skiing, but I am just too forgetful (read lazy) to write it down after each set. If there was a simple way I might do it, but otherwise the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

I am excited to hear what others do and how they benefit from it. Might be the kick in the pants I need.

• Baller

I have tracked my sets since 2008. I just use a lined notebook and jot down date, general performance, wind, water temp, etc. Anytime I change settings that goes in there on the date

completed.So far tracking has confirmed that my skiing sucks!

Programmer/analyst for a living. Use excel to track everything. Speed, line length, lake, boat, number of sets. One row per day, Best pass of the day is all I track, I generally remember how things went until I got to my hardest pass. Not perfect, but good enough to track trends.

• Baller_
Old school, excel. If you search on this site, quite a while ago there was a good spreadsheet that was rolled out by the galactic leader IIRC. Fluid Motion also had a spreadsheet on their site.

Great input! Much appreciated. I have been tracking the following:

date skied, wind conditions, air temp, water temp, number of sets taken, best pass bouy count, a highlight/lowlight, and notes on the day (any ski changes, outside factors, etc) - I also have been tracking my off water workouts to see if I can correlate any comparisons. I want to start skiing tournaments next season and am hoping this will really help me. Looking for the next breakthrough down the rope!!!

• Baller

That's all good stuff. I will share a reflection tool on the podcast next month to help post-set reflection. This is not a tool to necessarily track every set, but more to think deeper about sets.

Stay tuned ;)

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.
Water Ski Bits on X

• Baller

I use a spreadsheet for 2019 I'm at:

50 ski days

463 passes in the course

83 passes at 22off

296 passes at 28off

83 passes at 32off

1 pass at 35off

70% completion rate at 32, below my goal but a significant step back towards my 2016 season after a total slump in the 2018 season.

Lifetime 35's up to 9 total, 4 in tournament 5 in practice.

Season practice best of 1@38

Season tournament best of 4.5@35

• Baller

We have book in the club boat.

Every set is noted by the driver.

After the season I count my runs and add my guest runs at other clubs.

Since I do not progress, its hard to motivate any notes.

For example.

Skied today. Trick since it was 16 mph wind, choppy, some rain, rather cold and dark. Two persons put 65 minutes on the boat.

No progress to log....

I have not been successful at tracking consistently. I have 2 motivations for tracking. 1) General interest: I want to know how many sets I do in a summer, and 2) I want desperately to improve so I want to remember what was working or not and write down coaching tips I get etc. BUT I found by mid summer the #2 part of that was quite depressing. (But now I wish I'd still tracked for the purpose of #1)