Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

The Water Ski Podcast

Luzz

• Baller

6ree2s4gzett.jpg

Ballers,

So after a few months of thinking whether it was a good idea to do this, if I had time, and all the usual considerations… I decided quite ignorantly to open a Podcast about skiing.

The idea is to post on Tuesdays. I am going to strive for weekly episodes, but there might be the occasional gap week.

I decided to do Tuesday as it tends to be the "grayest" day, generally consisting of driving to work/school/etc thinking about how far the weekend is. Hopefully hearing about skiing on your ride to these activities can be a pleasant experience.

I recorded the first episode this week. The easiest way to listen to it for now is to go on thewaterskipodcast.com. I have submitted the podcast to all the major providers, such as Apple Podcast, Google Play, Spotify, and Stitcher. While Apple is still reviewing, the others have already accepted it. I'm told that it is already searchable on Google Play and Stitcher, hopefully the other two will be available soon.

Please be patient. This will be a "learn as you go" project. Also, feel free to let me know if you have suggestions.

One of the sections I want to host fairly frequently is a questions from listeners thing I skillfully named "Question Time". If you care to hear what I think about anything skiing-related, feel free to shoot me a message here.

I'll keep you guys posted whenever The Water Ski Podcast will be available on Apple Podcasts (soon hopefully).

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller

I’ll be a listener!

One thing I’ll say is, don’t be afraid to go long. My favorite podcasts are the ones that go on for hours: Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History is commonly over 4 hours and Joe Rogan is probably the most followed podcast and it’s never less than 2 hours. I still hate it when they’re over. Let conversations be natural conversation and the dialogue seems to make itself without some odd artificial time constraint. I think that your training makes you especially well suited for this as your questions are thought provoking and your insight always makes me think. You also just so happen to be an expert at waterskiing too.

As a post script, and I don’t want to hijack your thread @Luzz but as you were “the Flowpoint Professor”, what happened to Flowpoint?

• Baller
I agree with @aupatking to a point. There are times where Joe Rogan goes less than 2 hours, either due to guest availability or lack to topics. It's important to keep the length so things stay fresh and interesting. So do what feels right and remember that it takes time to learn this and find a groove.

• Baller
I was too tired when I wrote that last night. I couldn’t get my wording right, so I just left it. What I really meant was, if an episode goes long, so what, it’s probably because it’s good! Don’t be constrained by an arbitrary time limit. Short ones are probably going to be good too

• Baller

@aupatking & @vtmecheng fully agree, and thank you for the advise. Particularly in the interviews, I am not going to limit myself to a specific time. Naturally, the length will also depend on my interviewing skills, which have something in common with my training, but they'll take time to refine also.

Keep the advise coming ballers, I might be the one doing this, but I am doing it for the sport.

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

I searched on Apple and it was there! Really excited. My advice would be to make sure you do a realm of topics to keep both beginners, advanced, and recreational people interested! Listening to episode 1 now! I’ll listen to a super long podcast if it’s a good topic and convo that warrants a lengthy discussion!

• Baller
Following this Podcast on Spotify! Don't be afraid to share a bit about your own life! I'd love to hear how you got into skiing, how/when you became a pro, and just some good stories from the water ski community. I'm sure that you have sponsors which might make product discussions / reviews really hard, but that sure would be a great thing to listen to. It would be super fun if you could do interviews with some people like the LaPoints, Eddie Roberts, or others that have been with the sport for decades. They could share stories, talk about how skiing / equipment / training has progressed.

• Baller

Trying a new way to share the podcast that is a bit more user friendly. If you click on the link above the following should happen:

• If you are on a Mac, it should bring you to podcasts.apple.com
  • If you are on iPhone, it should open Apple Podcasts (if you have the app)
  • If you are on Android, it should open Google Podcasts (if you have the app)
  • If none of the above, it should send you to the podcast's website

Can someone with Android test it and let me know :smile: ?

• Baller

vg8i2al5v1w0.pngIn this fourth episode of The Water Ski Podcast, Matteo interviews Igor Morozov, the winner of the Malibu Open Jump event.Some of the things the two bearded men talked about on Sunday include:

• Igor's win on his first jump the night before
  • How Igor started skiing and the early days
  • His ability to combine skiing with other passions
  • Living the life of a water skier vs. living a city life and struggle to find time to ski
  • How skiing in the US helped him improve as a jumper
  • The role of a coach in skiing
  • Tips on how to make jumping safer and more approachable
  • The current state of jumping at the pro level
  • … and more!
Igor is by far one of the most interesting characters in the world of water skiing. I enjoyed this conversation a lot and, had he not had to go and catch some waves to surf, we would have probably gone on for another two hours!Here's a few links to relive the action of the 2019 Malibu Open (webcast provided by the Water Ski Broadcasting Company):

Also, here's a few links to dive into Igor's world:

Subscribe to the podcast on your favorite platform and let's keep the momentum going!If you are enjoying like supporting the podcast, please consider a donation.

• Baller

@Luzz great episode. Took me 3 days of commute and a coffee in bed this am to finish it but great content

As an aging skier who has plopped a few times in college you have me looking at jump skis.

When talking about sites... Someone needs to bring world's to Milwaukee. Coordinate for beer fest. And make sure to treat the water.

• Baller

xgmg0w5u9wr6.png

In this fifth episode of The Water Ski Podcast, Matteo interviews Brittany Greenwood, a Registered Dietitian and Pro Jumper.

Some of the things Matteo and Brittany discussed:

• Brittany's first experience at the Open Worlds

• Recent breakthroughs in her jumping.

• How she balances work and skiing.

• Her job as a registered dietitian

• Simple nutritional advise for skiers

• … and more

Follow Brittany on Instagram or shoot her an email if you have questions about nutrition and water skiing.

Subscribe to the podcast on your favorite platform and let's keep the momentum going!

If you are enjoying this podcast, please consider a donation.

• Baller

I listened to you and Igor and you and Brittany on my way to and from the fall tournament at Ski Watch the last couple days.

@Luzz I love what you’re doing. You are doing a fantastic job!

I also think I want Igor to be my new best friend B). That guy seems to be as cool as they come!

• Baller

wi1lm937l58v.png

In this sixth episode, Matteo answers a few questions from listeners.

Some of the topics covered:

Performance anxiety, especially with regards to approaching one's first competition.

The physiology and psychology of emotions

Similarities and differences between anxiety and excitement

Tips to prepare for one's first tournament

How to address a cold streak in performance

The importance of logging and reflecting

The effect of overthinking on performance

Different strategies to re-assess

The monetary and career prospect of a young skier wanting to become a pro skier

The crucial role of a coach

Sources of income for pro skiers

How passion should fuel the process

Subscribe to the podcast on your favorite platform and let's keep the momentum going!

Also, please consider rating and leaving a written review on Apple Podcast :smile:

• Baller

2y7w7xidjc4c.pngThis seventh episode of The Water Ski Podcast is the first of a two-part interview with Jay Bennett. Jay is a world-renown water ski coach, tournament organizer, and business owner.Some of the things Matteo and Jay discussed:

• Jay's first water ski experiences
  • The beginnings of Bennett's Ski School
  • The organization of big events, such as Nationals, Collegiate Nationals, and LA Night Jam
  • The former and current state of Professional Water Skiing
  • The role of collegiate skiing in promoting the sport
  • … and a TON more!

In 2018, Jay was inducted in the Hall Of Fame of the National Collegiate Water Ski Association. Marcus Brown shot a great clip showing Jay's acceptance speech, and I invite you to check it out.Also, keep up with what is going on at Bennett's through their website, Facebook, Instagram, and take a look at the 3 Event Store!Subscribe to the podcast on your favorite platform and let's keep the momentum going!

• Baller
Love this interview with Jay Bennett! This will be one to remember in the history books many years from now. What an Icon Jay is. I have talked to Jay many times but this interview helps me to know so much more about him and his beginnings. So inspiring! Thanks Matteo for bringing us this content.