Repairing Jump Ski Sidewall

TexasWaterSki

• Baller

Collegiate Team here. Our beginner jump skis take quite a lot of abuse and we’ve ripped the side wall off of half of one side of the ski. What is the best way to go about repairing them? I’ve heard epoxy, but what type would be best?

We’ve started looking for new skis, but obviously it’s cheaper to repair jump skis.

• Baller

cut the rubber out to the point where it is damaged. use a razor. flatten out the ding as best you can (be careful of fibers causing a sliver) then use a 2 part filler like a jb weld. let set up and then sand to finish. we have done a lot of novice jumpers like this and it sealed them up great and were plenty strong to hit the jump again.

• Baller

I've bonded lots of edges back on jump skis so it's doable. Hopefully there's not too much damage to the ski top or bottom - those skins need to be in decent shape. The honeycomb core also needs to be OK. It gets tougher if the rubber is completely off and flapping around. I've never done an entire edge. That will need a lot of clamps! And might take longer than the few minutes of work time the quick epoxy offers.

If it's just the rubber peeling away, you should be OK. First, clean things up so the rubber easily fits flush. Often there will be small chunks of epoxy or bits of aluminum honeycomb that you will trim with a matte knife. Flatten out any minor dings in the skins - a punch and taps with a hammer should work for little stuff, clever clamping for bigger bumps. Use blue tape to mask areas that you don't want epoxy slobbering over the finish.

I use Harbor Freight quick epoxy for the bond. It's not very strong but it doesn't get really hard so works as an adhesive well. I'm sure there are better adhesives (if you are doing a big edge repair you will need a slower cure special adhesive) but it's cheap, available and comes in a big tube so I can make a big enough batch. Use a popsicle stick to mix and slobber in between the edge and the core (you might need a wedge to open enough space to easily get enough epoxy in). It takes a fair amount. Use a razor blade to work it in where the edges haven't peeled much. Work quickly!

Clamp the edges in place with bar clamps across the ski. Use a paint stirrer or some lath to get a straight edge for the rubber. C clamp, again with some lath to give a flat surface, as needed for bubbles in the skin.

You did this really quickly, right? Now get some heat on it. Tip the ski on its side while you heat so the epoxy flows to the rubber edge for a good bond. A minute of heat and you are done.

Let it cure for a few hours and remove the clamps. The matte knife and razor blades work well to cut and scrape off the excess epoxy. If it's too hard you will need grinders, files and sandpaper.

JB Weld works well to finish any dents, voids and chips out of the rubber. Again, use the heat gun to get the JB Weld to wick into any cracks. You have more time here. Cure overnight before finishing.

@UCFskier might have the best approach if the edge is completely gone. I'd fill with Superfil which is a light epoxy filler (like bondo but much stronger and with a good work time). (Aircraft Spruce has it) because it's lighter and easier to work than JB Weld or an epoxy putty.

Jump skis don't last forever. Repaired ones even less. Look for new skis while you enjoy your repair.

Eric