Thoughts on 2005 Malibu response lxi

pjnyk

2005 Malibu response LXI popped up the other day so we jumped on it. Asking price is 27500 CAD which is obviously high. 420hr on the monsoon 340, comes with perfect pass, heater, and a 750lb ballast bag. Single axle trailer as well. Owner said they did hit a rock a few years ago but spent 16k to have the bottom refinished and the strut, rudder, driveshaft, prop, and wedge replaced. Incident occurred two years ago and everything has ran like it should since then. Other than that there’s some sun fade on the exterior and the carpets a little worn (as expected with these years).

So basically I’m looking for general opinions on the boat, I’ve heard lots of good things about the model years between 03-06. We’re checking out the boat today, if it’s in good shape we were thinking around 23-24 is a reasonable price.

• Baller
only drawbacks with mine was the loud engine noise as it did not come with motor box insulation. added that and solved that issue. also the trim on the rudder would not stay tight. made it quite the challenge when it came loose mid course! had to tighten every time before using to solve. not sure if that was isolated to my boat.

• Baller
Great boat with excellent wakes.I have had 2 of them and I think they are a great all around boat.Not sure about the damage to the boat that is up to you.Also most boats I buy even older don't have sun fade and the carpet usually looks good.I always buy my boats at great prices however you maybe restricted as far as travel to get different boats.

Update for you all, took the boat for a water test after checking it out on land and really liked it. Ski wake was awesome and boat was in great shape. Noticed a world of difference between our outback and the response. Carpet was just a little matted. Only issue was that the tracking fins whistle and the perfect pass cable seized over the winter. Owner will fix that for us, picking it up all in next week for 25k.

PS: boat comes with a boom, if anyone is looking for a brand new BI b202 universal contour boom send me a message.

@jhughes owner was more than happy to show the paperwork from the repairs and hasn’t had an issue in the two years since he had the work done so we didn’t think there was much risk there

@UWSkier the guy spoke to the boys at Malibu and they apparently said “so she’s singing to yah”. Supposedly you can take a rubber mallet to them to cease the singing. Going to make a call myself I think to be sure.

• Baller
if the singing is at very low speed, it is likely "prop sing"....just water resonating as it goes over the trailing edge of each prop fin. My 03 RLXi had it (still does a little bit)...can be remedied with a file.

@jhughes can’t say I have. Not sure if they have photos but would be worth asking for sure. They were transparent about everything and let us know before we visited, also sent across the work order for the repair. going to have a marine mechanic check everything out before we go through with the deal. If you’ve got photos of a boat after the wedge is ripped out I’d like to see

• Baller
Find out if when they replaced the Wedge they only replaced the foil or if the bracket was ripped from the transom. The foil arms are made of soft alloy and are designed to fail before the bracket comes off. If the bracket was inspected and found to be sound with no leaking, I wouldn't worry about the Wedge replacement.