under water gear , under water

LoopSki

• Baller
ive been waiting on some parts to install my motor on my lift. in the meantime I have been hand cranking which is quite the workout. is there any potential damage to the under water gear leaving it under water? that last foot to go up is a killer !

• Baller
If gelcoat is out of water, no. Otherwise gelcoat absorbs water! Underwater gear is metal so very little to worry about except minute deposits of calcium or other chemicals. If you have a cantilever boat lift it is strongest all the way up. Leaving it partway down puts all the stress on the cable and pulley system which is what breaks when they fail!

• Baller
My concern would be waves coming in and lifting the boat and banging it around on top of the cradle. My lift is on a public lake where from wind or the occasional wakeboard boat I can get serious waves/rollers coming at it.

• Baller

@ski6jones depends on water chemistry mostly.

All metals have some corrosion potential in water, but it gets worse the more electrolytic your water is - distilled water won't corrode or pit it at all, salt water will do much more so.

Ski boats have the advantage that the underwater bits mostly aren't aluminum, so I wouldn't be so worried about the shaft/strut/rudder - but if you have aluminum brackets on the platform those will be much more likely to corrode (evidence all the old powder coated brackets that have flaked off and look crusty)

They do sell aluminum anodes to bolt to the shaft which would provide even more protection however - remember that your lift is aluminum as well, much more prone to corrosion than the shaft strut prop. And probably hasn't rotted out from under your boat.