Boat won't start

wilyle

• Baller
I have a 1999 Malibu Response LX, Monsoon engine. I replaced the starter, the starter guy said mine was un-rebuildable. I can get the new starter to turn over the engine by crossing the terminals on the starter but nothing with the key so I replaced the ignition key switch, still nothing. Any ideas what to look for next? I suspect there may be a relay somewhere but don't know where it might be located. The voltage is good at the positive and negative terminals on the starter. I have requested a wiring diagram from Malibu but no response. Any idea where I could get one of these?

• Baller_

Check your safety lanyard and emergency cutoff switch. It could be inadvertently tripped or have a short. Double check the throttle lever neutral position detection.

Won’t start if it thinks it is in gear or if the cutoff switch is tripped or defective.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Thanks, It didn't start before installing the starter, that's why the new starter but I suspect there is more to it. It is in neutral and safety lanyard intact. Not that it may be possible for these systems to be bad but I don't think so. Something is happening when engaging the start ignition switch but obviously not enough to trigger the soelenoid (sp?). It makes a faint click but not a clicking like I have heard before with starter problems. I'm convinced it is not the new starter as it works fine when bypassed on or off the boat

• Baller

If it starts when you bypass the solenoid the battery is probably OK.

Safety lanyards in most boats of this vintage won't stop you from cranking - usually it will crank and start but die as soon as you release the key.

I would first check your neutral safety switch - same thing that keeps the boat from starting "in gear" if it fails or the wire gets loose you'll get what you are describing, and since usually the wiring for this runs near the starter it is really easy to accidently knock it.

Good news you can just jumper that with a wire or sometimes even an open ended wrench and see if it starts.

If not that check all your breakers/fuses.

• Baller

The starter only spins when several conditions have been satisfied.

1.The lanyard switch is closed. 2. the neutral switch is closed.

Rotating the ignition key to the start position pulls in the small starter relay, and sends 12 volts down to the starter solenoid (really, just a much larger relay) transferring the battery voltage across the solenoid to spin the starter.

First test I would do is measure for 12vdc to the small spade terminal on the starter when you turn the key to start. You do have a good multi-meter, right?

If you jump across the solenoid terminals and the engine spins, as you described, the problem is somewhere else in the system. Typical issue with my boat is the key won't engage the starter and I'll have to wiggle the shift lever a bit to make sure the neutral safety switch (mounted on the tranny usually(, is closed.

2Valve

• Baller
Also some boats have 2-3 relays usually one is fuel one is ignition, and one "start relay" they should all be the exact same type of relay so you can swap them around and see if the condition changes, for instance if you swap the fuel pump relay with the start relay it should crank but you won't get fuel pressure - in which case go buy a new relay at NAPA.

• Baller

On that boat, the neutral switch in the throttle assembly will prevent the boat from cranking. The safety lanyard will not prevent it from cranking. On my '01, when I want to cycle the starter and engine without firing, I will pull the lanyard.

If you turn the key to the run position, do you hear the fuel pump kick on and the fuel rails charge up?