ZO Settings Moving from Rev Q to S

skinut

• Baller
I just installed Rev S and took my first set with the new software. I don’t hammer the boat when I hookup so I have been using B3 in Rev Q. I skied B2 with Rev S and never felt like I could get free of the boat. Any suggestions on what settings might work for me.

• Baller

I have to disagree, and so would my ski partners. Unless there is a big difference between boats and engines, and light skiers vs heavier skiers. My boat is a CC200 6L and Rev. S is the best thing since hand driving I have ever experienced. Especially the NEW Plus system. It picks you up smoother, accelerates you faster, and releases you smoother.

With Rev. Q & R I used B1+ and at least once a set would get pulled up out of position coming off the ball on my onside. Something quite common for 200 lb skiers....Since going to Rev. S + not one time ever has that happened. Also, I have gone from B1+ to C3+. If there was a C10+ then I would be trying that. All the Plus settings I tried picked you up and released you the same way. The only difference was the higher the letter and number, the faster it would accelerate you between hookup and release. I am really having to modify my style to take advantage of the faster Swing Speed you can develop. I NEVER EVER want to ski "Q" or "R" again.

• Baller
Agreed @Ed_Johnson. I love the new plus mode. I bitched as much as anyone about ZO. The new plus mode feels AWESOME to me. Previously, ZO always felt like it was one step behind me and it beat me up. Thank you to any and all involved in developing the new plus mode!

• Baller_

There ya have it ! A system and settings that fit all skiers. 18 settings?

I run a3 now on any zo boat.. my skiing has changed..

Just have heard suggestions from others. We need another 18 settings with letters like jumpers get!!

• Baller

Anyone have the chart/graphing of how the different settings look?

Also the chart that shows the actual times (0.6, 0.7, 0.8 etc seconds) that the ZO takes to pulse throttle, how long it holds and how long it takes to release?

Would be cool to compare Rev R and Rev S times.

• Baller

B2 is never a good place to start! Start with A1 if you are light, transition from PP or want a smooth pull. Start with C3 if you are heavier, use PP with the switch or like a firm response to when you load the boat.

These are the start settings. Experiment and find what you like. Do try the + settings. If you end up at B2, great. But it is not a practical default, ZO just goes there for programming reasons. People might like ZO more if the program defaulted to A1.

Use C3 as the default for tricks. Nobody likes a springy rope - or boat.

Eric

• Baller
So I tried B3+. I weigh about 175 and try to be a smooth skier. The setting was better than B2. I will try the c settings and see how those are. One thing I noticed is ZO accelerates the boat right before it hits the 55's. I have found that I am getting more glide and have to pull out earlier than with Rev Q. I am assuming it is due to this throttle increase. Does this sound right? Do you have to adjust your gates with the Rev S?

• Baller
A credable sourse recently told me that Rev S plus elliminated the number system within the letter designation. In other words there are three settings A+,B+,C+ The numbers within the letter group have no barring on the control in the plus mode????

@Golfguy I heard the same but then got this response from Will Bush. The “number ” functionality is still active in the ”+”.   In “+” mode, the obviously the gains (response rate) are much faster, such that speed may not drop as much compared to normal mode.  This could have an impact on the “numbers” (intensity of throttle response). Recall – the numbers are dictated by the intensity of the load the skier puts on the boat.

• Baller
Was thinking about making an up grade to my 08 196 to a single puck and REV S called the tech line at ZERO OFF. He said REV S would give a firmer pull. But would moving to a single puck and Q be worth it? The tech did say that the programs are built for each boat and engine combination, so my program would be different from a 200 with my same engine. Have skied new boats and feel more in rhythm. Not sure if it's the new boats, engine and ZO combination or would just the ZO up grade give me a closer feel. Damn ZO and fin tuning there is always something to keep use from just thinking about being stacked and weight on front foot.

• Baller_

Our water warmed up enough to start messing around with Plus.

I am now a Plus guy but still need to dial in the setting. B1 and C1 both felt good.

C3 was a bit rough and caught a bit of slack on A1.

34.8 boat speed at gates.

• Baller

@MS Is 34.8 at the gates something different? I just have Rev R, never use plus settings and boat has always been about 34.8 at the gates.

Glad to see you're showing love for ZO. :smile:

• Baller_

@Drago I was mostly B1 on any 5.7s. Sometimes C1 with the bigger engines. Plus made both B1 & C1 feel better on our MC.

I will have to run a set at B1 normal and check the gate speed. Something feels better on back side of the ball to the wakes.

• Baller

Okay i am still confused here. I have rev Q still on my 200. I run B2.

I find that when skiing the new MC with the latest version that b2 feels more firm and can pull me up on my onside relatively often.

Looking for a softer pull. Don’t get to ski the new boats often unless in a tournament.

Will plus setting give me a softer pull? I am 175lbs skiing 22-35 off.

Should I move letters?

Thanks

• Baller

Define "softer".

Old school soft was a time on the slow end of tolerance. Often slow times were in response to a massive pull where the driver or PP didn't make a strong enough reaction. ZO will give perfect times regardless of the setting. (That's both the beauty and curse of ZO.) Somewhere the ZO pull will hammer you to make the time right.

Where do you want the power (needed to get the perfect times) to happen? A1 gives you the most time to get in position to take the hit but must stay on the power longer. I love this setting if I'm super smooth. C3 hits you as soon as you load the line but also unloads you quickly. I like this setting because it helps me decelerate at the buoy - especially if I overpull. B2 never felt right for me - hit me hard and pulled me over at the buoy.

I've skied the + setting on Rev R (C3) and hardly noticed the difference but my skills aren't where they were so the setting is the least of my problems. That doesn't stop me from wanting to try the + settings on Rev S that some people are enjoying. There are some real differences in the pull that I wonder if I'd like. The process of evaluating the new settings might do more for my skiing than any actual difference.

My pucks are starting to fail. A single puck looks inevitable. More than anything, this will drive the upgrade to Rev S.

Eric

• Baller
From my experience, I've skied all the + settings and like them over non +. A1+ seems to be the softest. I never really feel the boat. With B2+ I never felt free of the boat and C3 + was fun if you finished your turn stacked and ready to take the load of the boat. Btw, I am a fairly smooth skier and rarely hammer the boat.

• Baller

I guess by softer I mean less harsh at pickup. B2 rev Q feels more progressive than the newer single puck boats on B2 to me.

Tried a set on a friends new 5.7 MC today and used the plus setting. Seemed better than when I skied other MCs with just B2. Unfortunately only got one set in and couldn’t compare it to B2 no plus or other settings. Honestly I just don’t get enough ski time to try all these combos.

I have a tournament this weekend and may go with the plus although I still don’t understand how it could be a softer pull as it was designed for heavier people.

@skihart It is a common misconception that plus was designed for heavier people, lots of people including me at only 150 lbs like plus over non plus, I'm sure there are people over 200 lbs that don't like the new plus setting. No one should be afraid to try plus, it will surprise a lot of people.

• Baller

Take video with sound of your passes at different settings. Then turn it up loud on playback so you can hear when the boat rpm increases/decreases. That should help you figure out, other than feel at the end of the rope, which setting best suites your skiing style.

Am currently at C1+ with Rev S. Seems to pick you up quickly, give you a short burst in the pulling phase, then free you up in the preturn/turn.

• Baller

Skiing had gotten so easy, running 39's all over the place, any conditions--I was thinking of doing a more challenging sport....thank God for ZO making it challenging every season, and changing for every boat, and changing for every engine behind each different brand! woohooo!

• Baller

@ScotChipman1

Don't want to ski better... but Canadian Nationals are 230$ for one event.

Don't want to get the handle taken away from me by the 6.2 boat because i don't know wich setting to use for my wally style! (Probably W+++...) :)

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!