boat pricing

Dockoelboto

• Baller

I'm looking at a well maintained, low hour SN 196.

What do you folks recommend for pricing guides?

I've checked NADA, compared boats on boat trader and inboards only. Any other sources worth checking out? I think his price is a bit high but I don't want to low ball him without reason.

Thanks!

• Baller
Checking out some of the websites that have pricing will give you a good indication what the range is for your area (Craigs List, Boat Trader and Ski-it-Again). But it really comes down to what are the options for boats in your area. If not willing to have one shipped (extra cost) or you are looking for a particular color/options are all factors to take into account. I was helping a guy in our area find a 200. There were a few closer and the pricing was a little better, but he really didn't want red. So finally settled on a blue one from Colorado (which is is super happy with). There is always going to be a better price by someone on the internet. It all comes down to if you feel you are paying a fair price for a boat that is going to make you happy in the long run.

• Baller
Thanks everyone! It is a 2005 SN 196 LE, yellow/white/blue in color which I don't mind at all. has all the typical LE features: keyless ignition and PP, overall in great condition and well maintained 290hrs plus upgraded stereo. The pricing on these boats is all over the map, I've seen as low as $13000 up to $29500. This boat is in the PNW and seems like they go for a bit more up there. I'm hoping to get into it for around $23-24k.

• Baller_
That boat should be upgradeable to Zero Off. I believe the LE has the Excalibur engine. If so, that also makes it a bit more desirable and worth a little extra.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
it does have the excalibur engine, I'm asking about zero-off. I'm moving to the pnw in 2 weeks and i'd really prefer not to have to fly for a test drive. I'm not a tournament level skier but i just bought a house on a ski lake so i'm looking to improve. i'll keep my eye out and see what happens. thanks again!

• Baller
I bought a house on ski view lane - in thurston county - just a few miles sw of olympia. We are really excited! I'd love to ski the pads at Long lake at some point!. We looked at some homes out there. We are really excited to come back to the PNW, the Army took us to west Texas and we are looking forward to the water again.

• Baller

I have a spreadsheet I used to track 196 pricing for a few years while I was looking for a boat. I will send you a PM, to send it to you. It has advertised pricing for 150 196s going back to 2016.

I would recommend you prioritize condition and care(maintenance) over hours. If your budget allows for a $20k+ boat I would recommend you stretch for one with Zero Off, even if you don’t ski tournaments. If everybody else has ZO boats on the lake, they aren’t going to want to go back to Perfect Pass. The 02-06 196 with GM 5.7L PCM EXE 330 hp engines can be converted to ZO, but I found the price difference from them to 07-09 boats with ZO made the conversion unappealing.

• Baller
@vtjc: WOW! Thanks!!! Very kind of you! I appreciate the advice. The boat I've been looking at does not have ZO, just PP. It is crazy how much difference in pricing exists. I think I'll hold out for a boat with ZO, if I can find the right boat. If a boat has been well maintained, in excellent condition, is there a total hours that would scare you away? Seems like a pain to convert to ZO on the pre 2007 boats, probably not worth it. Thanks again!

• Baller
Get a Zero Off Boat seems there is a 2012 Malibu on ski-it-again asking 34k or spend a little over 10k more and get the 2017 Malibu think it’s in Texas or what the heck take a deep dive and get a promo 19 Prostar with a few hundred hours for a screaming deal! It’s well discussed here CC will be more!

• Baller
I'm leaning towards shopping around more to find a zero off boat. Seems like it may be worth it especially if I can find one for similar money. The house I bought has a boat house and the boat cradle was designed for CC. I'm sure I could modify it and maybe I wouldn't have to modify at all for malibu or MC hull but I'm not sure. That has been the primary drive for CC. I used to have a 95 prostar 205 that I loved, I'm certainly open to malibu/MC but I want to limited modification if possible. TX/FL seem to have most boats or the mid-west, big surprise. I just really don't want to fly to test drive, if there is something within a few hundred miles of WA I'm willing to drive but I'll try and be patient.

• Baller
Kinda funny that they're apparently using original promotional verbage as if it's still 2009. If the boat is as it appears in the photos the price is in line. Everybody prices for some negotiation room.

• Baller

@Dockoelboto

Your welcome, I hope the data helps you. Not many 196s with Zero Off available at the moment. This 07 196 is across the country in New York.

I suspect you could adjust your lift to another hull fairly easily.

Good luck in your search!

• Baller

@Dockoelboto have you skied a boat with Zero-Off? I am a non-tournament skier looking to improve as well. We rotate between three boats: 2003 LXi with PP Z-Box, 2005 LXi with PP, and 2017 Prostar with Zero-Off. Maybe slightly noticeable differences in pull, but no one complains about using any of them.

In my opinion (not worth much), it's more about spending quality time on the water with friends while trying to get better at it. You would have to be pretty uptight to turn down a ski because of PP.

• Baller

@powbmps the issue to me is less one of difference in pull than the fact that you'll only see very late model ZO boats. To the point where some skiers dont want to be behind anything but the latest 1-2 years due to changes in ZO and engines and hulls.

If any of the big 3 sold a boat with PP all of a sudden skiers would have to ski behind both. We won't see that till ZO parents expire and someone sees fit to compete or IMO the first electric tournament boat could be PP.

• Baller

@powbmps

I have not skied behind a zero-off boat. frankly most of the boats I learned to ski behind had nothing. My last boat - 1995 prostar 205 had nothing and I loved it but I certainly wished I had some speed control. I certainly wouldn't turn down a pull because the boat doesn't have ZO. The boat I have been looking at is more than enough for my needs, I can always upgrade it to the latest PP/stargazer/z-box. It will honestly come down to price. He seems to be asking a premium based on no objective data. I did find another one not too far for closer to 22K, has a few more hours but otherwise is the same. Hopefully I can get in to one of these for closer to 20K. If I get lucky and find the "right" boat with ZO I'd certainly jump on it. It does seem that the latest edition of z-box is much better. If I ever get that serious I would probably also buy a newer boat. For now I can't justify spending big big bucks on a depreciating asset. At least we aren't talking surf boats, those are crazy money.

• Baller

@BraceMaker Ski boats are a bit behind the times on the lake we are on. The one ProStar is the only boat with that new-fangled technology, so no one knows any better :) .

@Dockoelboto Same situation I was in two years ago. After fiddling with the old two speedo setup, I just knew I wanted some form of speed control. Was looking at ~20K maximum, so Zero-Off was not an option. Lucked out when the boat I found within my budget came with Z-Box.

• Baller
Zero off is nice but less forgiving than PP. If you are skiing tournaments you probably want to practice behind a ZO boat so you are used to it. If you want to have fun skiing the course and aren't skiing tournaments consistently I honestly don't see "no zero off" as a deal breaker.

• Baller
thanks again everyone for the opinions and info. Hard part seems to be patient and find the right deal for the right boat. PP or ZO or PP/z-box, at my level something is better than nothing. Hopefully of the two boats I'm looking at maybe one becomes the right deal otherwise I will hold out. thanks

• Baller

@vtjc: thanks again! You are a fountain of info.

I thought I had my boat - thanks to @jpattigr but then he pulled the rug out from under me! But I totally understand, and the search continues. I still may pull the trigger on the boat I've been looking at, if he comes down a bit in price. It is well maintained with low hours and overall is a great boat. It really comes down to price. I can always upgrade the PP, I realize it will never by ZO but at my level it may not matter. I'll also keep looking for newer boats or other good deals!

• Baller
@Dockoelboto FWIW I sold a nice 05 196 last year, 540 hrs, PP, heater, bimini in very nice shape for $21K. LE edition, keyless start etc. For free skiing PP seemed to work fine. Only reason I sold was that I found an 09 196 with ZO and I ski tournaments so I upgraded.

• Baller
IMHO I would not buy a boat without ZO, if I were you. You are moving to a beautiful ski lake in WA. Most of the people on that lake are kind, helpful people who want more of their neighbors to enjoy the sport. If you are at all athletic you will improve your skiing skills over a short time while skiing with your neighbors. It won't be long and you will notice the differences in speed control systems. Just my two cents. If you have figured out how to make a living and live at a ski lake, why would you dweeb around with old technology??? Go for the ZO! Oh ya, when you do reward yourself with a new ski, too!! :D

• Baller

@bananaron

I reached out to the guy in Idaho - but he never responded. I'll try again soon. Looks like a sweet boat, well maintained and would be a great buy. I'll see if I can contact him but so far no word.

@adkh2oskier

thanks for the input and price info. My thought process for now is I'm going to keep looking at boats. If the boat I've been looking at could be purchased for around 20K I may still take it and then upgrade it with stargazer/z-box. I realize it still isn't ZO but would probably be good enough for me.

@Shark

thanks for the opinion and advice. I certainly hope to find a good ZO boat and for sure I need a new ski! That is next of course... I've been away from skiing for the past several years - mostly due to geography. I've got an older connelly F1, I loved it when I was skiing regularly but now that I'll be back in the NW I'm thinking Radar senate. more decisions to make...