Just Why ?

• Baller

Payout comes largely from entry fees. More entree fees lead to larger purses for the men. Not really fair to have the men cross subsidize the women.

Regarding the size of the checks not enough eyes for sponsors that drive up purses.

• Baller

I can understand the payout difference between men and women at a tournament like the Swiss Pro where much of the money comes from entry fees, but what about a tournament like the Masters? The same number of men and women compete, and most of the money is coming from sponsors:

j5586l2m70l5.jpg

This is from 2018, couldn't find 2019

• Baller

Its across the board in pretty much any sport. Mens divisions/leagues/etc that have any pay out, pay more than women. In televised sports (Golf, Pro Basketball being prime examples) the ratings for the men's competitions is much higher than the women's. From that perspective, its right that it pays more. Higher draw gets higher pay. There's just more public interest in the mens compititions.

I think we are a little more balanced in interest between men skiers and women skiers. There's a lot of great skiing from the women, and even on BOS I think there is about as much interest and conversation regarding Ragina, Whitney and Manon as the top men. I would be interested to see how the benefits from Malibu compare between say Will Asher and Ragina or other similar sponsorships. I would think the webcasts can be tracked to see when there is more viewing between the men and women divisions. The reality is tho that the men are skiing 36mph and into 43 off, where the women are at 34mph and getting into 41.

• Baller
At an event like the Masters I would imagine that the prize distribution is similar to how the attendance distribution would look if tickets were purchased for each individual event. If it were simple "gender discrimination" they would payout more for men's tricks than women's slalom or jump- but women's jump and slalom payout more than men's tricks because those events drive more attendance.

• Baller
In BMX, UCI(the international organization of cycling) mandated that all of it's federations(IE USABMX and other national orgs) pay women the same as men in 2018. Regardless of if the women had half the entries or less. Guess what happened...... the purses for both plummeted. And guess what followed...... entries plummeted. Beware of what you ask for.

• Baller_
This may come as a surprise to some, but men and women have different levels of physical ability and athleticism. In general, men perform to higher levels in most sports and are more exciting to watch. Yes, many women's sports are fun and exciting to watch, but typically less so than men's versions. Why would it surprise anyone that the payouts are different for differing skill levels?

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Before anyone calls me names (misoginist comes to mind) @Bruce_Butterfield is right. Now, if we were talking about business administrator, system analyst or burger flipper, pay should be the same. Jethro comes to mind. Just can't decide on a career, brain surgeon or fry cook.

• Baller

Events can rightfully so justify different payouts when entry fees fund a large portion of can-prize pool and one gender has more entrants than the other.

But paying more to men because "men are better," well, that's a quite bit more tenuous.

@ScottScott the Queens Cup is just one tournament but it’s been quite a success each year it’s been held. There has been a lot of interest and the format makes for some pretty awesome competition. With the cash and other prizes everyone goes home a winner. Jeff, Chelsea and the others at LM work hard for it to be a success. Always fun to be a part of it!