PROSTAR mooring cover support poles WTH?

Dacon62

• Baller
Tried to figure out how to position and fasten the 5 support poles on my 17 PS to help keep water from pooling. Am usually good at problem solving but what the heck. This has me confused. Anyone have pics of how to do this?

• Baller
2 poles are for holding a folded bimini off the motor box, 1 pole won't be needed if a hard bow cover is on the boat. The last 2 poles are telescoping and go in front of and behind the motor box, and it still pools water. The only thing I have found helps is running the trailer jack all the way up.

• Baller
All that pole and strap stuff that came with the mooring cover is in my attic. I installed one pole just forward of the pylon and one pole just aft of the engine cover. I use a life saver seat pad to keep the bimini from damaging the engine box. I have no pooling or other issues. I'll see about taking some pictures when I ski tonight.

• Baller

I agreed with @oldjeep why so many poles? I guess I can understand because of the width of the boat that is a lot of material and it's nice they thought of the Bimini and open bow.

Of course also want to know why Nautique can't figure out a Bimini without straps or down posts? I am sure there is a reason.

• Baller

My cover has one pole - goes in the middle. No reason you should need poles in the front if the cover is made correctly and fits tight. Who is the MFG? My guess would be Great Lakes. Malibu comes with a choice of Commercial Sewing or Great Lakes, and every GL cover I've ever seen fit like a bathrobe.

• Baller

@Roger

I appreciate the time and effort you took to post. My poles do not go through the cover as shown. A pic of the pole system that does not go through the cover with the poles strapped to show how they are set up and supported before the cover goes on would really help. Thanks.

• Baller
@Dacon62 - My boat came with the same pole system you have which I discarded after the first (attempted) use. I happened to have the drop through pole system, so I installed it and use it. They are no longer made, so next time I will have to go with a snap pole setup or maybe a vent pole setup. In those, you install either a snap (that the top of the pole clicks into) or a vent (requires cutting a hole for it in the cover, kind of scary, but I had to do that for the drop through as well). Then the pole slips into a receiving area of the vent. I believe I would go with two of these: https://amazon.com/Vico-Marine-Support-Pole-39/dp/B010CEF7EC/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=Vico+Marine+Support+Pole&qid=1558117478&s=gateway&sr=8-9

• Baller

@wski1831 I use the bimini poles for trailering all the time. They work very well. Just takes a few seconds to put them on. The bimini then hovers an inch or so above the motorbox so it doesn't get scuffed up.

I dislike the Mastercraft factory cover. It put tiny little scratches on the bow cover where it would vibrate against it. It has two poles which are cumbersome. I ordered another cover from Evolution covers. He has a pattern for 2014+ Prostar with or without tower legs. I have a tower strap on the cover to prevent pooling of water if it would sit for a while outside. The cover is awesome... really designed for trailering with felt stand off pads on the side so the cover doesn't scratch the gelcoat. No poles. Very well thought out. Would definitely recommend.

• Baller
The centurion factory cover on our CP works really well without poles but is is a smaller CB boat. No signs of scratches or rubbing. I used to be a "trailer without cover" guy but after pulling the boat several hours with and without ----- I saw a noticeable difference in gas mileage.

• Baller
I always ended up with puddles on the port and starboard sides of the motor box, even with a pole in front and another pole behind the motor box set as high as possible. I ended up creating a self standing pvc pole that sits on either side of the motor box where the puddle would normally be.