Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

ProStar Exhaust Mods (2014-2019)

Jboss

• Baller

Has anyone here modified the exhaust on a 2014-2019 ProStar? The factory exhaust is way too mild for my taste. I don't want to make it obnoxious and offend everyone on the lake, but I do want to give it quite a bit more rumble than it has now.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Administrators

@Jboss

You want to make your tournament boat louder?

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Don't know...but maybe the ones without testicules are the ones needing a loud engine to compensate.

A friend with a 08 MC with 6 liters was recently ''suggested'' by the small town mayor to do something about his boat noise before neighbors do something about it...

I ski early in the morning around 6:30 -7:00 am and no way i would intentionnaly annoy the rest of the lake residents with a loud engine.In my mind,quietter is better!

• Baller_
@Jboss - there are numerous options for sound suppression in the marine world. Depends on what your current setup is as to what would give you the change you are interested in. Quietest setup is the Silent Rider which is a very large muffler or quieting chamber and does a great job. The dual exhaust in line silencers don't suppress the engine noise as well as the Silent Rider. Baffles and tip mufflers added reduce the noise as it exits the exhaust system. Cats also add a bit of sound suppression.

• Baller
Back in the late 1980s, when boats were significantly louder, when one of my ski buddies moved to his lake, a neighbor came over as we were wiping down his boat and said, "I heard your boat from across the lake". We weren't ready for what she said next: "There's nothing like the sound of a real inboard". While I agree with that, I also agree with the license plate frame on my brother's Harley, which reads "Loud Pipes Just Irritate People".

• Baller

My 93 is acceptable, for mufflers, stock Centek Invertaflo. My wife wants me to dual straight pipe the 93 but that’s a lot of work to do true duals on that boat. My straight copper piped ‘76 Ski Nautique sounds better. Dads ‘75 SN has same pipe setup but different manifolds and his sounds much better than my ‘76 but not as powerful go figure. I feel Malibu is the only fair sounding “modern” boat and even then i might be thinking early 2000’s, I’m not familiar with BU. If your serious, I’d contact Centek after you take measurements of your exhaust pockets.

If peeps feel they can dictate what my boats or trucks sound like then I can dictate to them what I want theirs to sound like. Or:

913qtfxa9267.jpeg

• Administrators

@Orlando76

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
@Orlando76 I earned the prestigious Triple Panda Award last week for the same reason. I'm a car guy and want anything I own with a V8 in it to sound a certain way. I have Corsa Xtreme and an X-pipe on my C7 Vette and it sounds amazing (IMO). I don't want my ProStar to be quite that aggressive, but close.

• Baller

I have a jetboat with a 540 cubic inch Chevy. Some A-hole in a surf boat sunk it a couple years ago and I haven't gotten around to fixing it...I love the sound, my family on the other hand MUCH prefers our Gekko...something about being able to have a conversation...like you can't do that on land or when a skier is getting in the water?

I have a Denali with a 6.2, and one of the things I like is that the sound is the best of both worlds...rumble at idle, but quiet in the cabin and a little noise when you step on the loud pedal. Personally, if I had a newer ski boat with a 6.2, I wouldn't mind a little sumpin if I was on a public lake.

• Baller

@Jboss get the allure.

The trouble is, no matter the lake there are prevailing conditions that tend towards skiers setting up and pulling riders in certain ways. Some of those conditions include things like slalom courses and or calm protected areas. The VAST majority of the noise out of these boats goes straight out the back right at wherever the stern is pointed. Which unfortunately is the guy who usually fights your usage permit.

• Baller

Engine noise is a particular irritant to some people. It can trigger a noise complaint. Ski boats generate a fair amount of noise unrelated to the engine. So the authorities will measure significant decibels from the quietest boats and restrict water use. It happened to one of our sites.

For the sake of our sport's tenuous access to water, don't poke the bear by modifying a stock quiet boat.

Eric

• Baller
I'm not saying hey get open pipes and let her rip. All I'm saying is if I've just shelled out big coin for a tournament boat I want it known that it's got some serious grunt. If people are going to whinge about a dull rumble from a boat, then we better think about banning obnoxiously loud Harleys, heavy trucks etc during certain hours or near residential areas.

• Baller

My buddy's Tesla has more "grunt" than any car I've ridden in. A surprising amount of road, gear and engine noise but no exhaust noise to generate lots of acceleration Gs.

My mom's Cmax hybrid needs some background noise to know it's on and ready to go. A purring kitten? Not a Harley's worth!

Watch the South Park episode on Harley riders.

Eric

• Baller

@wettek69 - folks who care about your boat having grunt are the same ones who're going to think you're cheap because you bought such a small boat...

The answer to the question is that it is profoundly simple to straight pipe a ski boat but just why.

• Baller
That's great when we have realistically useable electric or hybrid boats, but until then, we are all still using internal combustion engines that make noise. If you want to live on a lake, people have to realise it's not just all about them. Bit like buying a house near an airport then demanding curfews and different flight paths.

• Baller

Too loud and next thing you know you get complaints about your course and next thing you know you don't have a permit for your course. I love the sound of a V8, too, but there can be consequences.

My brother had a course on a public lake and basically had to silence his boat as he skied before work on weekdays. It was pretty trick...super quiet that thing could sneak up on a duck.

My 6.3L AMG daily driver...yeah she barks but only if I'm on it...otherwise pretty inconspicuous.

• Baller
@wettek69 Spot-on, Greg. Going way back to my original post where I mentioned "a bit more rumble", I think some folks got a little carried away with the critiquing. I'm sorry I asked the question in the first place (at least on this Forum). Geeeeez.

• Baller

@Jboss Don't stress over the Pandas - @Horton gives out infinite numbers of those.

The issue is important. Those of us who have had noise problems in the past can share what we struggled with - which might be relevant to you.

If your lake is 4 miles in on a dirt road past the airport (like my current site) rock whatever pipes you want. Please replace with stock mufflers (or better) if you ski a course in the morning in front of the lakeside homes.

Eric

• Baller

@Jboss part of that has been there aren't that many opportunities to get what you want on these set ups.

Your boat came from Doug and he may have some ideas for you, but usually these boats have a pretty minimal set up, post cat you have a coupler, a muffler, a tube, a coupler and a through hull. The muffler can be replaced with stainless pipe - heck been more than a few boats i've seen with schedule 40 PVC fittings.

It goes right from factory to straight out the back trumpet.

On V-Drives and Stern drives you can get thru hull cut offs, which were sort of the hot ticket on our lake for a few years because you could open them up but not get the sheriff on you in the river by closing them down. But there really isn't a place to do this on a Prostar.