Rope twist

lpskier

• Baller_
When I fall, my rope twists as it’s pulled behind the boat. My rope ALWAYS twists counter-clockwise. I know this because I always totate my handle clockwise to get the twists out. Why is this?

Lpskier

• Baller
@Andre is correct, just loop the handle over the pylon and let the remainder of the rope untwist behind the boat as you idle forward for a few minutes. Doesn't happen nearly as much once I changed to InTow ropes.

• Baller_

My handle is new this winter with no wear. It’s a Masterline but it’s not plastic coated. It has the three inch finger protectors. It is a radius handle. Next time I ski I’ll use a straight handle but I bet I get the same result. I’ll also try Nautique. My counter-clockwise twisting rope occurs behind an MC. And I have the “getting the twists out” part figured out. It’s the “how do they get there in the first place always in the same direction” part I’m not sure of.

Also, I am using the new ML rope. Can’t say I got all these twists with any other rope I’ve used. I’m anal and certainly would have noticed at least once in the last 50 years of skiing. Some, but never like this.

Lpskier

• Baller
How do you store the rope? Don't know if it helps but when I coil the rope after a set I make sure it is not twisted, then hang it. If its gotta lay around in the boat for a while, I'll untwist and coil again when it is out of the boat.

• Baller

I have a couple of observations on this:

1. I believe a handle twists depending on how it's strung. I have a couple of handles where there is a noticeable off-center twist where the yoke is spliced.

2. I use a handle protector, and mine doesn't twist because it planes behind the boat.

Also (ok, three observations), I do not like staring down a twisted rope to the boat while waiting to start. It messes with my ocd nature.

• Baller

Guys, you're missing it - it depends if your right foot forward or left foot forward on which way the rope twist. I'm right foot forward and my wife is left foot forward and they twist opposite directions.

Kidding, this thread was such a tangent had to add.