Deep water starts on a Prostar

Mazda

• Baller

I have a 2014 5.7L Prostar with a 4 blade propeller. From day one I loved everything about the boat, except the deep water starts on a slalom ski. Getting up was slower and harder than on other boats.

Is this a common issue with all Prostars or just my model? Is there a way to solve this problem?

• Baller
I can't speak to the potential of the transmission issues of the early models etc potentially contributing.....but I can't imagine needing a full throttle start up on pretty much any ski boat. There have been a few threads here about deep water starts with many tips/technique suggestions, the latest thread currently not too far down the list "Deep water start new ski." Maybe worth looking those over and evaluating your technique. If its too slow....is your driver giving full throttle.....do they need to give you a touch more? Or is it technique. A full throttle start on any ski boat is going to rip the handle out of my hand. Unless there is some type of surge in the throttle there shouldn't be anything about the boat causing start up trouble.

• Baller
@ScottScott I'm just over 200 lbs and ocassionally I will get a pull up in a tournament that is slower that I really like. At the end of the lake, I'll ask for more. Sometimes, the response is "that's all its got". Yes, some of the 2014 MCs were boats in that category.

• Baller

Before you go spending money check if engine is getting enough air. Remove all the cup holders on the engine box or raise the motor box up by placing a 2x4 under it. If it’s not air then likely the trans/prop.

My 17 PS with 5.7 doesn’t need even half throttle for pull up of 190lb skiers.