New Prostar or Response

Drbach

• Baller

2019 Prostar or Response? Looking for opinions. I am a slalom and barefoot guy. Response seemed slow when I tested it. Slalomed only. Top speed was not even 40. I did not barefoot behind it. Loud engine, standard motor.

Do I go larger motor and get more out of it or prop it on the Response?

Do I go Prostar with standard motor or upgraded motor and pay big bucks? I heard the larger MC motor is awesome with a hefty price tag.

How about side spray for either for using the boom, anyone have an opinion? Does the side spray defeat the boom?

• Baller
Prostar, much better slalom wake (skiing 28 & 32 off), can't comment on other line lengths. As for BF, while you shouldn't need more than ~40 mph (depending on your weight), sometimes, faster is better... until you wipeout.

• Baller

Personally I’m not a fan of the new response. I’ve skied 3 or 4 of them never once felt the wake was that good. One of them (i have to assume this issue has been fixed, but this alone would keep me from ever buying one) started ITSELF at a tournament when it was on a lift. No one in or around the boat. Happened twice in one day.

Go prostar or a year old 200

• Baller
Always been a Malibu guy but now have a 17 Prostar. As far as I’m concerned the Prostar is a better boat in all the important areas even though the new Malibu came out 3 years later. That’s why I switched brand loyalty even though I really wanted to like and buy the new Malibu I just couldn’t pull the trigger on it.

• Baller

43 with a driver only @Horton

What’s it like with 4 men in the boat and a footer out the back?

I’d like a prostar but for me it would have to be a 6.2. I had a run behind a 2014 6.2 prostar a few years ago and enjoyed it. Good speed, I think it was 72-74kph Range with 4 men in the boat. No trouble holding 66pkh.

• Baller
I may be venturing into areas I don't know well enough to comment (tho thats never stopped me before.) But I'm guessing most of the ski boats are set up to be about max RPM when you get into the 42/43mph range. This gets you into a pretty comfortable RPM range for skiing at 34/36, with enough HP to maintain that speed through the course (of course the 6/6.2 being able to do that better with a stronger skier, or jumper.) I would think if there is going to be a significant amount of time barefooting and needing speeds around 40 or more, you'll want to reprop to be in a little lower RPM range for those speeds. That may then not give you the kind of pull you want for slalom, so you may end up having a footin' prop, then a slalom prop.

• Baller

If you’re ever going to pull non-tournament level slalom skiers, especially kids under normal speed (anything under 32) the Prostar is the best wake I’ve ever seen. It’s also the best at tournament speed. I’ve heard it’s not as good for trick skiers, but don’t know that’s substantiated and, will you be pulling any of them? Also, is that something that a little ballast can’t handle?

I don’t think the Prostar is beatable for the criteria you give

• Baller
I would go with the prostar. You will get better slalom wakes at slower speeds. I have skied behind the 6.2 motor in the prostar and it is one of the best slalom rides I have had. I have not had a lot of rides behind the Malibu. It skis great at higher speeds 32 mph +. The unfortunate this is the boat does not have a gear reduction like MC. I do believe you can get the raptor motor in the Malibu which may be a great slalom pull. Do your research on both. Test drive both with the motor you want and decide from there.

• Baller
My totally biased opinion is the Bu looks like an odd copy of the Prostar. Buy the real thing, you won't regret it. If speed is a problem, call OJ and they'll set you up with a prop that serves your needs...for MUCH less money than a 6.2.

• Baller
Footer and course skier here with a newer ProStar. Of course I endorse the ProStar. I got the 6.2 because I am a bigger guy and need 41mph to long line. It can be achieved with the 5.7 but didn't want to max out my engine all the time. Skiing, features, and build quality is top notch.

• Baller
@Drbach Heck I know where you can buy a 2015 Gekko GTR that will be a better barefoot boat and excellent slalom boat for $45000 less. You can take the money buy 3 older boats and flip them for a huge profit.Money in the bank and a boat you will love.

• Baller
So many good responses to this, thanks to everyone for the open mind and opinions. I will let you know what I choose. Leaning towards the MC, large motor, no tower. If it ever warms up here in SE WI, I will test run the MC.

• Baller

Just launched our new ProStar yesterday. Loved the room inside, the wakes are amazing at my speed (28-32mph), the user friendly tech features (course mapping finally makes sense), the ski racks, and just the overall thought into how skiers use a boat.

And it is such a looker?

• Baller_
As per all the comments, the MC slalom wakes are awesome so if you do go test drive and barefooting is important make sure you give that a test. Actually testing the slalom wakes is simply something to enjoy and confirm, 'damn they're good'!