Kids Training: when to start releasing one hand

ral

• Baller

My daughter started slalom after tricking for some years. She has been progressing very fast, and she is getting into 30 MPH (she will start cutting the rope at 32). Still doing all passes with two hands.

What is the general opinion on when starting to release one hand? She wants to, as she sees the rest of the skiers doing so. Although I believe turning with two hands is good for her technique, I do not want to overdo it.

All opinions are welcome.

• Baller
For my son it was pretty obvious when he needed to start releasing. His shoulders were getting twisted and putting him in poor form out of the turn. For him that was at 26 - 28 mph but he now still releases at his lower speeds too.

• Baller_

At 30, she's well past the basic point to release. I would encourage her to start dropping a hand now.

The problem with the 2 handed reach is that most skiers will turn the outside shoulder through the turn and toward the rope. In other words, they learn to turn with shoulders rather than the hips. That may turn into a hard habit to break as the rope gets short.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

I believe that kids learn differently sometimes. My daughter learned things well in an orderly component based system of learning. Mastering small components and ultimately putting them all together served her well in many sports including water skiing. So for her, taking her time to add the hand drop was useful.

My son, was much more interested in mimicking what he saw the big guys doing and slowly improving the entire set of movements as a whole. This is partly how the kids process differently and partly personality.

I think @Bruce_Butterfield makes the point that either way it sounds like it is time to make the move.