Radar Katana or other

bojans

• Baller

As we start another season I am trying to come up with ways to keep my back healthy enough to ski often. I have had 3 surgeries for herniated lumbar discs and, for the most part, am pain free (knock on wood) on a daily basis. That all changes when skiing starts. I am generally forced to use a drop ski to keep my back from getting too sore but this is a real pain with dropping at both ends of the lake, having to retrieve skis at the end of a set and if I fall mid course, it just adds to the aggravation. I would really like to get a ski that will allow for easy deep water starts and allow me to practice form and build muscle with the hope of being able to do deep water starts on my regular ski.

I currently ski on a Senate, which I love, but am looking for a ski that will be easier on my back for deep water starts but still allow me to run the course. I am by no means a short line skier,getting into 34mph 22'off is a decent day for me. The Hovercraft by HO interested me but I don't think that will turn well enough to get any real practice in the course. It looks like the Katana may be a good fit, be able to run the course but easier to get up on. Can someone comment on how the skis is to get up on and ski in the course? Other suggestions for skis to try?

• Baller

I have a Katana (67”) and love it. It is very easy to get up on and is good in the course at slower speeds. I skied it last year all at 30 mph and ran into 35 off on it. I think it would be a great ski for what you want and is easier to get up on than the CX. The Omni is a little wider than the CX but I think narrower than the Katana. I think the Omni is much closer to the Senate you own.

I would definitely recommend the Katana it turns much better than I expected and is a lot of fun to ski in the course at 30 mph. I did also ski it a bit at 32 mph and ran 28 off on it but it was getting a little bi at that speed.

Hi All! New to Ball of Spray. I figured that I'd jump on to this thread since I'm seriously considering the Radar Katana. I've been skiing for 45 years. I'm 55 and tried my first deep water start (in 7 years) on my 2002 O'Brien Quest and tweaked my back (which has always been a concern with me and why I've been out of the sport for so long. I know that my ski is ancient. So, with the wider skis on the market today, I'm getting my core and back muscles in shape to jump back into it this summer. I've been reading great things about the Katana. The question that I have is that I'm 6' and 190lbs and wondering if I should go with the 67" or 69". Any help and input would be appreciated. And please chime in if you have had great experience on another wider ski. Oh, and I'm a free skier and have never run a course but want to someday really soon! TIA!

• Baller
Hi @bojans Sounds like the group here is offering some great direction. We've had really good success demo'ing the katana for the exact reasons you are thinking about it. Its a great story of a ski as I've been told..... The original ski design was done by Herb years ago and sent to Matt Rini randomly....and somehow never got tested. While going through the trailer Matt and Sully found it and decided to give it a try and liked it so much that the "Butterknife" was brought to life. Seeing so much potential in the ease of getting up on it and a great overall ski, they chose to narrow it slightly and make a ski that could better while still having much of the same "easy to get up on" feel that they loved. Thus the birth of the Katana. So its definately worth consideration. Not sure what size you are looking or but we show new models in stock and some closeouts also. Also if you want a bit more width than your senate....the new Union has just that and was brought into the lineup last year from skiers who wanted more of the traditional ski design (a wider senate) in the ski. We also have HO's Omni lineup as well as their new Fusion freeride shape. We are here to help however we can. Bill

• Baller

@Math64 Go with the 69, easier to ski at slower ski speeds, more area more lift (if you want to) easier to get up. Unless you’re really cranking turns and aggressive course skiing the 69 will be fine.

I have a Butterknife and a Senate. Butterknife is much easier to get up on, it’s only 1/10th of an inch wider than a Katana, same shape. Butterknife is my go to ski for spring rides, refining my suckage technique and getting back into ski shape. Put new slalom skiers on it as well. Also easy enough to ski that I don’t get as tired (but I probably ski the Senate more aggressively).

Either a Katana or a Butterknife would be great skis, if you’re leaning towards course skiing I would recommend the 69 Katana. When you’re learning the course slower is better, and a little more lift of the 69 will allow that.

• Baller
I think it depends on what speeds you ski. I am 6’ 200 pound and ski the 67” Katana and find it easy on my body. I do ski 30 mph 22 off to 32 off on it. At slower speeds the 69 would be better and it would be easier to get up on.

• Baller

@Chef23 A beginner course skier is not going to start at 30mph and 22 to 32 off....

He’s going to start at 26mph (or less) and 15 off. I know you know that...the longer ski will help. We are on the same page. I have skied my 69 Senate down to 22-24 and it still works...it’s a lot of work but great training for balance (and shifting weight off the tail).

Think there’s a video of @twhisper down below 20 on a KD someplace...pretty impressive.

Have to learn form and technique before speeding up and shortening the rope.

The great thing about the Katana is it IS good to 32 and can get you into a short® line. The same for a Butterknife but @ 2mph slower as a max “recommended” speed. I’ve had mine 30+ many times with no issues. Every time you’re crossing a wake you’re adding 15mph+ to your speed.

And to be honest I’m not sure how they come up with these “max recommended” speeds anyway...

Someone more knowledgeable could chime in with that answer...

• Baller
I use a 69 inch outlaw ski at 26 mph and 15 off. easy up and good to 32mph (me 30max) Great learning ski forgives a lot and can still do the balls. I started with a skinny ski and had all kinds of trouble both getting up and making cuts. this ski solved that. I am not great but I love this sport and having this ski helped me progress. When I get better I will look for a more advanced type of ski.

• Baller
Hey Dave, yeah the Union is .4 wider than a Vapor. So it goes Vapor and then add .2 to get a Senate and then add .2 to get a Union. All skis have the same concave and rockerline while utilizing a rail between the concave and bevel to create lift and stability.

• Baller
Selecting an upgrade to your present ski is a big problem in this sport as riding style, body weight and height, speed and skill level are all variables for each person. Without trying the ski yourself you have only a guess at wither it is going to be a good ski for you. So try every ski that you get the opportunity to ride. You need to be your own judge as manufactures can only provide very broad recommendations. Other people can tell you which they prefer but then you need to know what their Variables are to apply that recommendation to you.