Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

900 Hours on 1995 Boat, too high?

megsi99

I posted awhile ago about our search for a ski boat and we're interested in a 1995 MC that has about 900 hours on. Does that seem high, or about average? And if it's high, is it a reason to walk away? It looks super clean and well taken care of, so that's really the only drawback we've found.

Edited to add listing: https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/d/zeeland-mastercraft-prostar-19-boat-190/6821030159.html

• Baller

IMO not a ton of hours!

as mentioned condition condition condition.

The boat is nearing 25 years old at an average of <40/hours a year. But it could have easily been in storage for a number of those years, or here in Michigan it isn't uncommon for a boat to only see 10-50 hours a season.

The difference between a boat on a lift with a ratty cover always wet and one that is cared for over 25 years is huge.

• Baller

Look at the maintenance log for engine oil, transmission oil, fuel filter, proper winterization, etc. As other have said the hours are not an issue if taken care of.

Gel coat looks to be in great shape as far as one can tell based on the pictures. If it’s a garage queen that’s a plus.

My buddies 1986 MC has over a 1000 hours and it’s running strong.

Love the corvette engine!

• Baller_

Probably just broken in if it had scheduled maintenance. Down side lt1, reverse cooling engine and most of the indmar replacement parts are nla especially the ignition side. But hey! A new PCM 5.7 e-controlled engine would fit very nicely in place of the obsolete lt1...

Nice looking boat.

• Baller

As indicated, if the 900 hours was put on evenly throughout its 24 years then it’s probably purrfect. Sitting for a few years is way worse than steady maintained use.

@Bruce_Butterfield ugh, debatable. If you want a hammered and hard 16.95 vs a smooth and easy and still legal 17.16 seconds then yeah that ZO is better deal.

• Baller

@megsi99 I'm curious which parts he was having trouble locating - not that it is as simple as walking into a mastercraft dealership and saying I need a XYZ but there are quite a few resources now.

MEFI-1/2 ECM's are available from http://technicalservicesin.com/

Crank position sensors have a solution through either them or chinese/russian part mfg.

In tank fuel pump tweak has been worked out.

The overheat issues of LT-1's have been sorted.

So I guess if I were to want either a SN 351 GT40 or a MC LT-1 either way you can now get the parts.

• Baller
Here's my $0.02. The gel coat looks good in the pics, as does the trailer. Being Michigan, that probably means climate controlled storage and is good. The engine looks really clean and free of rust spots, which not only means good storage but someone took care of it. That said, the interior is listed as new so you can't use the vinyl or carpet as a judge of how things were cared for. I agree on the compression test and having a mechanic look it over. Also, pull the dip stick to see if the oil is that nice amber color, though you really don't know if that was the obligatory pre-sale oil change. Pull the oil fill cap off to look under it, you will see lots of moisture and a light brown buildup if it is not cared for.

• Baller
To put marine engine hours in perspective, my '16 Ram 2500 6.4L has 2200Hrs and 75000 miles. 250 of those hours are at idle, similar to ski boats. Boat engines are essentially marinized truck engines which are built for torque and durability. Modern V8 engines are built to withstand over 200 K miles without much wear and tear. One could say that boats are used for all stop and go under load, but this is taken into consideration by the design engineers. Also, boat engines are inhaling very clean air vs vehicles used on a roadway, and boat engines run a hell of a lot cooler as well. When I'm in Ft Lauderdale, I ski over at McGinnis' . They once had a CC 200 with 6500 hours, 4500 on the original engine. Boat ran perfectly. They have since upgraded. Bottom line, if it's been cared for, even just reasonably, engine hours are not a concern.

• Baller
@Live2ski @pcmcon729 Was that McGinnis CC200 Red White and Blue? I think I bought that boat. I put a newer 6.0L engine, new upholstery, new seadeck, new steering cable, throttle cables and muffler in it. My son now uses it for his collegiate team. Its been a great boat for them. I sold the original (to me) 5.7L PCM to @eleeski either as a replacement for the engine his collegiate kids burned up or his 79 American Skier.

• Baller

I have ‘94 LT1 w 975 hrs. Maintained very well since 2002, I think ok before that....

Runs as new. I can’t see it having issues for 1000 more hours if maintained.

As above, it screams, not that it goes faster than 34mph very often.

Also as above maintenance is key. 900 maintained hours is potentially better than 500 abused or neglected.

• Baller_
@megsi99 - trailer condition matters as well. Create a little list of what's available in similar age/condition boats and create an average price. Call the guy and feel him out, he may say, "if I could get $10 I'd be happy". Definitely know how much you'll spend to put a PP system on that boat. You can get those prices on skier to skier .com and use that as a bargaining tool.

• Baller

Hours are funny things.

When I was buying a boat they were important (500 hrs)

Now I own the boat the hours don’t matter as long as it runs sweet (1100 hrs).

Guess they will become important again when I come to sell it but in reality I will be selling a boat over 20 years old by then.

What’s important is the family and friend time in it and behind it.

Well maintained they can run into the thousands of hours.