F1 - pit stop

pgmoore

• Baller

I'm not really into F1. But I know that @Horton and some others are.

This video of a 1981 pit stop vs a 2019 pit stop is insane.

1981 pit stop vs a 2019 pit stop

The elapsed time, of course. But also the process, the equipment, the clothing. Unreal change.

• Baller

F1 now is like watching the grass grow or paint drying...

Take away traction control, ABS and all the aero. Give them V-12’s and drivers with balls vs the pretty boys that look like they came out of the day spa after a race...

• Baller

@JackQ they don’t spin the tires off the corners, they have SOME type of traction control. When was the last time you saw a full steering lock tire smoking drift off a corner??

I TOTALLY understand the technology advancement, but it’s BORING to watch on TV. And the stats prove that TV and in person spectator counts are down. NASCAR, Indy, NHRA and the other TV motorsports are all in the same basket. There are now more entertainment choices to draw your attention now and that has a factor in it as well. But if you make something stand out they will come. Look at the WoO events, they are SRO at most stops...

@Skierx your CG fin is safe!

Technology is great (and here to stay) but it doesn’t always equate to better entertainment, but in some cases it does...

• Baller

I've been a life long race fan. My Dad was a mechanic on a stock car during my youth and racing has been in my blood as long as I remember. Saying that most racing today sucks! I live 5 miles from Michigan International Speedway, went to the first race ever held there, and now rarely ever go to a race. There's maybe 10 -15 laps of a 200 lap race that are interesting and if there are no cautions you can cut that in half. I've always followed drag racing but had never attended a national event. 2 years ago I went to the Summit Nationals at Norwalk. Unf---ing believable! If you've never seen the fuel cars, GO! 0-330MPH in 3.8 seconds. I've watched it on TV numerous times, not even close to seeing it live. One word of caution, if you go take hearing protection and not just foam ears plugs but full ear muffs. The sound is unbelievable. On one pass the sound knocked a half-full bottle of water off the seat next to me. At night its even more spectacular, the flame out of the zoomies shoots 15'above the bodies. Another cool thing is that everyone is welcome in the pits. You can stand 5' next to a car as they strip in down to a bare block and rebuild it after every pass. Don't make the rookie mistake

I did and stand behind the car when they warm it up. The nitro fumes will about kill you!

• Baller
F! engines are probably the most efficient engines on the planet. I used to not have a lot of respect for the F1 drivers and then someone told me to pay attention to what they are doing while they are driving. They are constantly changing the car and engine while driving. They not only change it based on normal track locations but make incremental changes during a race depending on strategy and what their race engineer tells them.

• Baller_

@gcam4 - the Merc F1 engine just clipped the 50% efficiency mark, that is pretty damn amazing. The WEC LMP1 cars are also technological masterpieces.

F1 cars don't have ABS and 'traction control' based on wheel speed sensors, they do it with software engine maps and dial in the launch control on the recon lap.

The athleticism required for a NASCAR pit stop is pretty darn high, the top teams all employ very well trained and very fit athletes to execute the pit stops. A lot are ex football players, agile, fast and strong.

• Baller
What F1 needs is to ban aerodynamics on the car rearward of the front wheel and below the top of the wheel line. That would kill the underbody and diffuser which kills air behind the car. Also DRS doesn’t work the way it was imagined and if they keep, it the drivers should be able to use it anywhere they want to. I used to watch every practice, qualifying and race but now can pretty much predict what’s going to happen. I do still like watching but it’s not a big priority anymore because of the decreased passing and excitement. Also even though it’s cool to see technology that advanced in engines, it did add a bit of unknowing when someone’s engine had a chance to blow up in the middle of the race. One big thing they need is to let them run more fuel (wish they would do refueling) so drivers can push the entire race and not have to manage their car and tires. I miss when they could bang out qualifying paced lamps over and over to make a pit strategy work.

• Baller
@ShererSkier F1 rules for 2019 changed the rear wing requirements so that they don't screw up the air behind the car as much so that it is easier to get tight and pass. It is super obvious this year as you see cars tucking in a lot tighter

• Baller_
@ShererSkier: you would probably be surprised to hear a NASCAR Cup car essentially has a diffuser, not in the sense of how you think of one, but in terms of air control. A carbon fiber undertray is pretty cheap compared to designing every part of the car to act as one.

• Baller
@oldjeep I know the rules have changed this year but that with the other changes I was talking about, IMO, would make passing even better. There has been races this year where cars go rocketing past or just can’t pass and I haven’t seen much wheel to wheel like years past. Plus as I said I don’t like the fact driver have to worry about their tire deg SO much. I’d just like to see them hit the perfect set of specs and rules to complement each other more.

• Baller_

@liquid d - Cars has so many cool gearhead / car & racing references, some really good writers to capture the historical events in a fun movie.

@ShererSkier - it appears the DRS simulations did not quite get the opening points correct for the current car configuration, should improve with more data available to the FIA.