Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

New Prostar soon

Dacon62

• Baller

@skimtb What would you change on a prostar? I ski behind a different new prostar every couple weeks and they are excellent in my opinion.

Sorry for the thread jack. Jays boat is beautiful but Nautiques are the least desirable boat in our region at tournaments.

The only things I can think of to change are the gas gauge issue and they are loud, even at idle.

• Baller
With the amount of money spent on developing a "tool" for a very limited total addressable market, these companies have to stretch out the production run for a number of years to recoup and make money. Look at Nautique. 9 model years on the 200 before introducing a replacement. And it's not really a replacement. I would suspect that MC will run the PS a bit longer. They always have.

• Baller

@Dirt I don’t have considerable time behind or in one yet (hope to change that this summer), but I think they are awesome. Maybe my “pretty good” above should have been “great” or better.

All I can see that would be nice is a dual fuel fill or maybe medium engine option (big jump from 5.7 to 6.2 $$$!). I have also noticed the windshield design is cooler in the cabin on cold mornings vs full wrap.

Other than that, I think they are perfect and can look at pics of them all day.

• Baller

Thanks. I was just curious. There is always room for improvement. I would take Hortons boat away and give it to a college team.

I would like for Horton to have to ski behind a wake surf boat or even worse, with Greg Badal.

• Baller

@BoneHead I am gong to disagree that MasterCraft has always had long runs of ProStar hulls.

From late seventies to 2001 the MasterCraft skiboat was updated frequently(3 year cycle 87-2001), often with some notable changes between years. Admittedly this was a different era for waterskiing. This is a brief summary:

1968-1976 Skier

1977-1979 Skier

1980-1985 standard and PowerSlot (1983+ wood free)

1986 Transition Year(earlier deck, newer hull, unique interior and graphics)

1987-1990 ProStar 190

1991-1994 ProStar 190

1995-1997 ProStar 190

1998-2000 ProStar 190

2001-2013 Prostar 190/197 EVO Hull(2002TT + 2003+ with hook)

2014+ ProStar

ProStar History Thread

I haven’t skied behind the current ProStar, however it sounds like an outstanding boat. Ilmor will need transition to a newer base motor when the 5.7L stock runs out.

• Baller

I personally think the market is there for a one step larger ski boat.

Think of the MC 209 - that is what so many young family boaters want but if you could rework the bottom to be more like the current gen prostar and give a better wake thatd be the boat I'd want.

• Baller

As far as the Prostars being loud....I guess if you ski early and it may be a little more disturbing to others living on the lake.... If thats a concern, could add a fresh air exhaust. Otherwise, I think they are the best sounding boat out there, I wouldn't change a thing.

Fuel gauge has its quirks. (if you fill the tank when you add its not an issue, instead of 5-10 gallons at a time, but thats not practical in situations where you're lugging 5 gallon cans to the dock.)

Raised decals look nice, but catch water spray. Better adhesive? We were a Master raft for a little while.

Slot that bimini attaches to in the corner of the window will wear out and that corner piece will need to be replaced.

Significant battery draw when not being used.....always turn off battery.

Center seat back can't be folded while bench seat is up. (you'll realize that AFTER you've tried it once and dinged the upholstery on the side of the bench.)

Despite a couple quirks, its the best boat out there... Why would they invest the money into a new boat when the brand new Nautique is still arguably no better.

• Baller

@Ilivetoski agree on boats - on cars it can be way more complex with the evaporative emissions piping as well as one side gets the fuel and often the other side gets the muffler. Plus the fuel fill side takes up space on the interior that is often at a premium.

Most boats would just need a tank with two necks a deck plate, hose and clamps.

• Administrators

@GregHind I am not sure they make that number public. I know in California alone there are currently seven 2019 promo (or marketing boats).

FYI they are all for sale at super competitive prices

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
I think at one point when the new hull was first being developed(think 2012, when I was in tight with one of their largest dealers), they told me 700 units world wide. 450 to the US and 250 the rest of the world. I have drank a LOT in the 7 years since then. And I drank a lot of wine that night with the MC guys who are now all gone. So I might be completely off base.

• Baller
Sounds like there are 50 to 100 promo prostars per year and maybe 500 to 1000 total prostars worldwide. I often hear that 3 event and slalom is an unimportant market with no margins and that probably was true at some point but I don’t believe it for one second now. I think our sport is going through a new heyday. I spend a lot more because I am connected to information and people through the internet. I bet that applies to everyone on this forum. Anyway it must be good for boat sales and margins which is good for investment and development.

• Baller

They already have the #1 most sought after slalom hull. Additionally, the only other competitor to have ever had the #1 slalom hull just released a new hull and appears to, so far, still be in the #2 slot. If you're already on top, seems crazy to go about changing too much.

Maybe it would be like a TSC1 to TSC2 type change? Nautique was on top back then and was smart enough to only make very small tweaks instead of large changes. I would imagine Mastercraft would be smart enough to take somewhat of a similar path.

• Baller

I had my fuel sensor replaced with what I was told would become the standard unit used and have not had a single issue since no matter how much or how little fuel I put in.

Loud? Have you driven the new Nautique? Maybe with the carpet out it's a little loud, but I keep mine in unless the rain is falling.

• Baller
The prostar's exhaust is louder (and better sounding) than any of the other boats....noticeable a little bit if sitting in the back, but most noticeable to people behind or on shore. Inside the boat its about the same as the others.

• Baller
I agree with @Drago the fan in the engine is loud. I find it much louder inside the boat than my Malibu Response. I think that is primarily inside the boat though. I don't find the rest of the boat louder than other boats.

• Baller

Fan is just for performance right? Can you shut it off (disconnect) if not needed.

For example, moving enough to keep fresh air in thru air dams. Like on non tournament lake.

Vs. short setups back and forth.

• Baller
I disconnected the fan as soon as I got the boat, it's simply not needed. The local Promo owner had disconnected his months earlier with no detrimental effect. I agree the boat is a bit louder from shore than the other two, but not annoyingly so.

• Baller

Is the fan for temperature (eg at idle) or lack of airflow? The fan would have to push a few hundred cfm to make much of a difference. I’m sure it does something important.

Wouldn’t be hard to add a sensor that only ran the fan when needed (and still only when engine running). Eg above 1000rpm or above a temperature.

• Baller
It only runs while running....tho at all RPMs. It runs for a couple seconds when you 1st boot up, then stops until engine started, then only runs while engine started. My understanding is that its to make sure there is enough air available for carburetor intake, not cooling. So...performance related. I haven't done any A-B tests. Interesting to know how big of a difference it can make. I can't imagine this is a situation exclusive to a Mastercraft. Maybe an extra step Ilmore is taking to insure top performance, and all boats could benefit? Or is there a design element in the Mastercraft that doesn't have as much air flow into the engine compartment....

• Baller
I live in Florida, so not a cool environment. I regularly drive my 2016 without the fan connected and the current Promo owner's 2019 with the fan connected. If there is a performance difference, I can't feel it. I certainly am annoyed with his fan noise every time I drive his boat in practice or tournaments though...