Whisper Fin Review

Horton

• Baller

I have passive observed BOS for a while. I now feel compelled to post.

I've been reading a lot about this fin and the one thing that appears to be missing is comments about improved scores. There is a lot of talk about "feeling good" but I've yet to read about any PBs. I would not consider myself an expert fin tuner, at best i mostly yell at the fin, however I do spend a lot of time tweaking and changing set ups. In my experience there are set ups that feel good, but do not improve scores, and there are set ups that allow you to start shortening the rope beyond where you have ever been.

I call the set ups that "feel good" but don't allow improvement "training wheels." They give you a nice false sense of security, but eventually you have to take the training wheels off and learn to ride the bike.

So, is the whisper fin an expensive set of training wheels or is there anyone out there that has become a measurably better skier as a result of this product. I'd like to know before shelling out that kind of money

• Baller_
Depends on what your definition of measurably better is. Is it buoy count only? I consider myself to have become measurably better do to equipment. It's physically easier to ski now and my technique has improved. But 38 is still 38...its a different kettle of fish. I have taken more of them down with certain gear but my buoy count has not soared. But I ski better. It's been noted by others at tournaments even.

• Baller

As far as I know there are only two units of measure in slalom skiing, huge spray and ball count. Considering most lakes are not properly equipped to measure spray, I am mostly referring to ball count. So if your PB is 2 @ 38 but previously you've done it once and since changing set up you've got that score 3 sets in a row, that would be an improvement. If you bettered you PB, that would be an improvement. If you ran your opener and second pass really really smooth but fell before your wall pass that is not an improvement. Hope that clears up what I mean.

P.S. if your huge spray impressed the newly single MILF on the lake enough to get her to the end dock to give you a smile, that could also be considered and improvement.

• Baller

@Sprayblaster third unit... fatigue.

Presumably a ski could permit additional skiing at the same threshold by being less taxing but not permit an increased line length nor reach pheromonic level of milf attractant quality.

• Baller

@BraceMaker, I understand your point but what I was getting at, is that I have had set ups that make certain passes feel easier, for instance I have been able to set the ski up to make 32 and 35 feel so easy, I was sure I'd be running into 41. When I got to 38 I could not get past 2. Therefore although the set up made the ski feel as if it were easier, it in fact was not easier, otherwise I would have gotten further down the line.

My ultimate goal is to better my PB and better my average. If it is taxing or not getting to that point does not matter. Just like Ricky Bobby said "if you ain't first your last"

• Baller

I wish I could do some name dropping here, but the elites are being either protective of what they are up to or wanting to get more time in before going public—totally understandable.

But one good example is someone you all know that was having trouble running the occasional 39. With the WF, they've been running 39s daily, even back to back, with two tournament scores nicely into 41 already. Not PBs specifically yet, but early and dramatic signs of improved scores and consistency. Does that count, @Sprayblaster? And what about Bruce Dodd's national record? That's a PB. Andrew Bergman ran his first 39 in two years after putting on the WF. Does the 11 year old running a -28 PB at Matt's today count? The rollout is only weeks old. Nothing is fully dialed in yet, not technique and not even these fin's.

FWIW, I'm getting a lot of enthusiastic feedback from people at all levels of the sport who simply don't want to post on BOS.

• Baller
Thank you @SkiJay! I skied at Matt's yesterday and saw that 11 year old ripping it...simply amazing! I was also struck by how many WhisperFins I saw there. It was only my 2nd set on the WhisperFin and I'm only running 15- at the moment but I'm already a believer. My ski is definately coming around quicker and finishing turns with better angle. I'm not really chasing buoys yet this season but Matt told me that it's the best he's ever seen me ski. I'm stoked and can't wait to start shortening the line again! As an interesting side note, I was chatting with another older skier like myself and we both have noticed that the ski is easier to get up on with the WhisperFin which is an unexpected but welcome benefit! Plus it whistles at you when you make a good turn! :)

• Baller

@SkiJay .... I believe I read somewhere that when making WF fin adjustments, is it critical to keep the fin reference lines parallel with the bottom of the ski for the relief holes to work properly. This would mean that when changing depth, your also changing length proportionately. Please confirm if this is true, or can you move the fins nose tip up or down without changing depth. Thanks.

• Baller

Related to Ed's comment above about the index lines on the fin.... I have the WF mounted on a 2019 Radar 67" Senate Pro. I used the ski specific numbers on the Whisper fins site. Those numbers are..BF=30.75, Wing 8, FD 2.510, FL 5.570, DFT 1.95, LE 7.70. The front three index lines are exposed, the 3rd index line in the back is invisible. The ski is super reliable and easy thru 32off. However, the ski feels slow. My 35's are narrow and too much work and 38 is over at 1ball. I haven't tried the setup using the instructions that came with the ski. I defaulted to the ski specific setups. Any idea's to increase speed? I'm RFF, 205lbs and ski at 32mph. I will say that the first set was an absolute joy and there wasn't a scary moment . The fin felt great immediately! Of course, we always want more.

• Baller
Took my first set with WF last night. Have had it for a couple of weeks, but wanted to get into some semblance of ski shape before trying it. After six sets with another fin that I was already super happy with, I decided to give the WF its first shot. Conditions were marginally skiable crap at our lake last night with a pretty strong head-tail gusting. Only skied 28s and 32s, but the ski was noticeably faster (easier on the body) and my offside was noticeably better and it had been pretty dang good with the other fin (which I will now give to my youngest at college). Will ski a few more sets at this initial setting, then decide if some experimentation is even worth it. 2018 67" EVO with my bindings ALL the way back (like 29 5/8 ish, I think).

• Baller

@Ed_Johnson, You are correct. You probably saw that in the WhisperFin Ski-tuning – 101 instructions that came with the fin. Keeping the index lines equal at the front and back of the fin sets the turbulators at the ideal angle for maximum efficiency/power while accelerating. That said, I don't think small deviations from this ideal angle of attack make any material difference.

And yes, keeping the index marks equal means FL changes with FD adjustments, but this makes tuning with this fin super easy.

To adjust tip traction, move the whole fin back and forth (forward for more tip bite, and back if experiencing tip-grab).

To adjust tail hold, just move the whole fin (front and back) in and out of the ski with an equal and opposite DFT adjustment to maintain an unchanged level of tip engagement.

Example: for more tail hold, turn the FL and FD adjustment set screws 1/4 turn clockwise each, and the DFT adjuster 1/4 turn counterclockwise. The DFT adjustment compensates for how the the deeper longer fin would have affected tip engagement.

No special tools or advanced tuning knowledge necessary.

• Baller

Notice: Consolidating questions and comments into one thread

Thank you to everyone for your questions and comments on the WhisperFin. This fin release has generated a tsunami of questions across a wide spectrum of social media, and I'm struggling to keep up. So to make my time on BOS easier to manage, I'm going to focus my attention on the original thread "Presenting – WhisperFin #1." This will make it easier for all of us to share and find info in one place as we unpack the potential of this new tuning philosophy. If you have questions or feedback, please click on this link: Presenting – WhisperFin #1

• Baller

@SkiJay ...Thank you for the response. Confirms what I believe and what I've experienced. Now I feel secure in the direction I need to go. Thanks again

@paul413ski ... Got your PM, and what you did corresponds exactly to what Jay just explained. Thank you for sharing your information.