Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Fin set up Question

Steven_Haines

• Baller

I’m wondering about specific adjustments that will help me to make my offside rff (1,3,5) turn more crisp? Using the CG fin. I’m currently at:

30 1/8 front boot

6.873 length

.818 dft

2.493 left side of fin block with a washer mid hole

2.490 right side

The difference in depth is odd to me, it seems that the left side should be shallower than the right since I have the washer in there. My 2,4 is crisp. I’d like to get my 1,3,5 to come around harder.

I tried going deeper but going deeper wasn’t the answer.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

@adamhcaldwell

@AdamCord

• Baller
@Steven_Haines if you are running the CG fin I would say @adamhcaldwell and @AdamCord should be tagged here. Some other folks may have advice but as the creative team they probably have the best information and advice.

• Baller

@Steven_Haines Remove the washer and tighten down the fin block, then then measure and set your fin, then re-insert the washer. That ensures that your fin block won't flex in the opposite direction from the pressure of the washer.

Edit: This wasn't a suggestion to improve your offside turn, but who knows? :smile: Also - Skijay (I think) posted a video about torquing down the fin before inserting a washer. Showed the fin box bowing instead of the ski.

• Baller

Not sure what ski riding? Or if you're double boot guy or rear kicker. Hopefully your front boot measurement is not too much forward from stock. That can hold it back from rotating around. I would move your front boot to stock setting. Get your depth offset as close to each other as possible. Asymmetrical holes will take care of the rest. That seems like an awful lot of length for the amount of depth you're running for a CG fin. I would take out at least .050 of length out. We've had a lot of success with less than 6.800 length & around 2.500- 2.520 depth. That was on the c-65 Denali . c-75 shorter yet , shallower & further forward. Or you could do like what's been suggested by the Adams , whatever the stock settings are for your ski adjust everything at least.020 shallower, deaper& forward.

• Baller

@Skierx, the ski is a 68. Front boot is supposed to be 30 1/4

When I set up the CG I set it up where it was and pushed it forward.030. I love the fin!

I’m Hardshell with HRT kicker.

Currently the depth on both sides is really close.

I could try less length. I tried moving the bindings back 1/8 when I added depth. The combination was a flop!

• Baller
The Cg fin shouldn't need a washer at all. The latest ski i have tried the Cg fin on was turning like a school bus. 67 Helix with Double Radar bindings, I was about 1/8" forward of stock recommendations. Pulled binding back to 29.75 and it came alive.

• Baller
@Steven_Haines start by trying forward and shorter with the fin by moving .010” each and see if that seems like it is a good direction. If so keep going until the tip feels like it’s too high, then you’ll know you’ve gone too far.

• Baller_

@Steven_Haines several comments:

1. Remove the washer. The CG fin has a similar effect to the washer on a normal fin, only better.

2. Do what Adamcord suggested and see how that works

3. Your settings sound a little off. If Cord's suggestions don't pan out, I'm on a 68" also and have tried a number of settings, but have come back to:

30 5/8

6.5 deg

Don't be afraid to make big moves with this fin - it has a much bigger sweet spot than a normal fin.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
@Steven_Haines it’s not abnormal to see a difference in depth from one side to the other, especially when you consider that by turning the caliper around you are measuring in a different spot on the ski. That being said you definitely don’t want too much reverse offset like that, so I’d suggest keeping the washer.

• Baller_
@Steven_Haines - I would consider taking a straight edge and measure the flatness of the ski at the fin block on each side to determine a potential root cause for your issue. You might also want to measure the fin block for flatness / symmetry. Also, is the fin perpendicular to the ski?

• Baller
@VONMAN I know that you’re going to laugh but I Love this ski. I have had newer ones and the next best one was a D3 Quest. I just jumped back on an old Radar MPD. I have 5 sets on it again and my better half says that I look more comfortable on it and she feels me less behind the boat. I really want a C75 but I bought a trailer instead so that I can spend the summer on the water. Hopefully I’ll be on the C75 before too long.