OTF gun shy...

Jetsetr

• Baller

One of my many issues with skiing is getting stacked and weight forward for the cut after the ball. Thus I end up super narrow and late for the next ball. I took some MAJOR OTF’s last season and I think subconsciously I get back on the ski and collapse after the ball and approaching the wakes to avoid the potential carnage mid wake...I’m a 26/28-15 off skier. It’s a new year and want to put that all behind me and move forward. I have the physical strength but technique is seriously lacking....baby steps at this point...

Advice/thoughts....(other than truck driving school-but I do have the number 1-800-big-rigs...)

• Baller

I'm not certain it will directly help you, but it's worth knowing that OTFs are usually caused by being back on the ski. This sets you up to have to pitch forward at some point, and creates the rotation needed to send you over the ski. Think about if you want to launch someone with a see-saw: the first thing you need to do is bring their side DOWN.

If you don't want the possibility of launching, then you need to keep your weight centered and the see-saw flat.

• Baller
there are two kinds of OTFs IMO. There's the kind @Than_Bogan mentioned, then there's the kind where you're loading too early, not letting the ski finish the turn, etc and you end up with your shoulders leading your COM into the wakes. Would be great to see some video. I know the water temp in WI when it was cold would cause me some nasty OTFs in the past if I wasn't super patient about letting the ski finish the turn when the water was stickier.

• Baller

I would suggest practicing outside of the course. Focus on completing the turn; skiing your hips back to the handle. Only pull/lean with you arms straight and handle close to your hips or thighs....if you pull in this fashion, you will not go out the front but you will go faster.

It's because of this extra speed, that I think you should practice this outside of the course. Better to focus on generating speed and body position without the balls messing with your head.

Once you develop your technique it will translate to more success in the course.

• Baller
See if you can find a minimum 35 offish skier in your area to take a few sets with...he can make sure your ski is set close to stock, and see what's causing the OTF's. You should not be taking a bunch of those. That should be a once, maybe twice a year thing.

• Baller
Bad alignment is what caused a lot of my OFT when I started...especially on the offside. Make sure your core is aligned, pointed in the direction of the ski. If your core is trying to point at the boat when you cross the wakes and loose contact with the water, the ski will try to turn in the direction of your core. Even a slight turn down-coarse when you land, the ski will grab and stop. That alignment will also help you get weight forward, as correcting it will push the trailing hip forward. Then maintaining alignment after the wake will help maintain width.

• Baller
Every OTF I’ve had was on my off side...never even thought of core aligned with ski in direction of travel...(sounds simple but....) Dont think there are too many 35 off skiers in this area other than Jeff @ Stillwater.