3-4 thoughts?

HighAltitude

When I play golf I have a single swing thought when I start my swing. Any more than one thought and I over think the swing. I was trying to think of a single thought for each phase of the course. For the pullout to the entry gate I try think about breaking free, For the pull, I try think about having "loose" arms in order to pull with my body. Anybody else use and have some single thoughts they want to share?

• Baller_
Going around buoys has always been a challenge for me. When the set becomes a frustrating mess I just speed the boat up to 35 mph pull out to the right and free ski! the smile comes right back in my face. I get a workout and can concentrate on whatever is causing my in course issues, usually it is my off side turn, I forget how to do it!

• Baller
I’m usually thinking of being tall and square and carrying speed before my turn in. If I ski poorly my opener then I think of squeezing my abs behind the boat and exiting the second wake to keep my connection. Usually these are enough. This keeps my thinking mostly free for when things go south, then usually overthinking and trying to run the pass by working my stance and not repeating the same mistake

• Baller
Any time I'm struggling, I have to go back to the thought of staying connected. So much energy is lost so fast once the handle gets away from the body. This one thought helps guide me both to pull better and harder and to move up with the boat after the second wake.

• Baller

@lpskier some of my best passes have been on public water courses where we had really long set up/set down just based on boat traffic or other people. You get to almost having a song playing in your head by the time you get to the gates. And then when you exit the other end you have water to play with.

Going to a new private site where you have to know where to be to drop at the end, where you need to be as you come around the island, what not to hit when you pull out. - Worse sets for me.

• Baller

@HighAltitude - Throw that thought out the window.

Slight Rant as this topic has come up several times.

Every-time i go to Orlando I am hearing someone make the comment about "loose" arms. Last time down there a few years ago, I ran 39 on a brand new prototype back to back 4 times. I had two people on the same day (well respected people) make that comment to me I need to loosen my arms. After making any attempt to do that, I counted run a clean 35 off, let alone have any space whatsoever to run 38.

Where is this kind of stuff coming from?? The last thing in the world you want to have is 'loose' arms.

I agree that in the pull, I want my shoulders at a maximum distance away from the handle. So yes, the arms are LONG, and fairly straight, certainly not a bicep curl. However, definitely NOT LOOSE. Far Far From it. I need to keep my arms very active in order to keep my upper arms and elbows pinned against my core into the first wake and crossing CL in order to keep my core from moving away from the handle pre-maturely after crossing CL and the top of the second whitewash.

Freeze frame ANY short-line skier on any line length. Arms are very tight to the body EVERYWHERE except for the 'reach'. Skiing with loose arms is a great way to never experience a swinging sensation, but rather always experience a sensation of the boat running away from you after crossing CL.

Be careful who you get coaching from. 9 times out of 10 its a complete misinterpretation of what someone see's another high level skier doing from the passenger seat - regardless of the level of coaching.

I keep having skiers swing through TL and they are working on stuff like that and have NOTHING but issues at the ball because of it.

End Rant.

I took a lesson with Chris Parrish last year and I thought he used that term. Based on your comments I'm pretty sure that I misinterpreted what he said even if he actually used that term (which now I'm not sure). I do know he wanted me to stop using my arms to pull and get my body more engaged with straight arms. When I did that I was skiing a lot better. I was skiing 15 off at 32 MPH at the time.

I seem to always ski best when I'm the most relaxed and am not thinking about a million things to fix throughout my pass.

Oddly enough, my best day on the course last summer was after having a couple cold ones on the dock after work before catching a tow!

• Baller

@HighAltitude there is a lot of specificity of what a coach will say to try to get something across to a particular skier and should not be considered gospel to all other skiers in all other conditions.

I made that mistake in regards to being "open to the boat" and had coaching to hide the shoulder. I don't think everyone should be told to hide their shoulder.