Trailer bunks - gatorbak bunk?

moski

• Baller

@moski That's what I have on my boat lift bunks. Works fine. 6 years of use and still in great shape. The boat comes off and back on close to 150 times, or more every year.

Carpet would have been changed a couple times by now.

• Baller
I’m either doing something wrong or extremely lucky but out of my 3 current boats and the other 3 I’ve had carpet on bunks have never been an issue. No excessive wear (~10) years, no marking (granted all my bottoms have been white or almond) no sliding, not too grippy, and I’m guilty of not really power loading but rather power “assisting” on launch and load.

• Baller
Carpet Wear on bunks are going to be different between a lift and on a trailer. On a lift the boat is taken straight out of the water either by a cable or Hydraulic lift. There is no force wearing on the carpet or other material. In time carpet will rot do to moisture and use. A boat going on and off the trailer is a different story. It will wear quicker depending on the boat and trailer make up such as a 200. Me personally I use firehose for my lift.

• Baller

Curious and circling back. Has anyone tried this on their trailer bunks?

Looks like boat slides up easy on trailer.

(I also have stern straps on back of trailer).

I always dunk trailer and get carpet wet. I also assist and hook up wench and hand crank as my wife powers it up slowly. Love the colors of my boat, but with black hull it sucks to see small streaking.

• Baller
I have had this on my trailer. I found that it did more damage than with carpet. Very slick for sure but took of the gel coat quicker than carpet. Liquid Rollers sprayed on the carpet works just as well and less damage. Unfortunately I have a SN 200 and there isn't a trailer out there that doesn't damage that hull.

• Baller

we actually protect the hull instead of the trailer bunks. We have been very successful with the 3M paint protector / Rockguard:

https://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-Clear-Paint-Protection-60-inches/dp/B004V9SPX0/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw1uiEBhBzEiwAO9B_HZxjaaacIducIWCyOGbO_vmIBUN7AQoNQM-eJBLgjr1MyIab7nTcFhoChaAQAvD_BwE&hvadid=416736707917&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1021222&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9532834763692200119&hvtargid=kwd-387854287893&hydadcr=5734_9590398&keywords=3m+rocker+panel+film&qid=1620752539&sr=8-1

2015 Prostar, ours lasted at least 5 years (sold the boat with it still on and in good shape) and saved our hull from having to repaired, no wear whatsoever. We just put a strip on each side where the front bunks would hit and wear the gel coat.

Our boat goes on and off the trailer at least 6 times a week, April - October.