New battery for 2004 SN 196

Tdub

The last time I bought a new battery it was a standard car battery and I never felt comfortable with it. This year I will go with a marine battery but what type. Cold crank or deep start? We normally just take it to our pond. But occasionally we will head out on an open body of water, hang around a local sand bar and play some tunes. I always worry that it won't start. Never happened but always a first time. Then there is the problem of the battery well being so shallow. So, any recommendations from you folks in the know? Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Tom

• Baller

Deep cycle is better if you regularly draw down the battery but as a rule crank worse. Stereos trolling motors lights etc all reasons for a deep cycle.

Deep drains will kill cranking batteries.

Mostly an auto battery will be fine but lots of boats need threaded posts which they won't have.

My game is napa, autozone or wherever is closest to where you store your boat and has a good warranty.

• Baller

Interstate MT7-65 AGM - I put one in my 2006 196 2 years ago, love it. They are very expensive, but I wanted the best battery I could find. No problems running the radio after I ski my sets so my wife can bask in the middle of the lake.

The model numbers changed since I bought it - you want the MTZ line. Read the details - designed for high draw applications that need both starting and deep cycling (police cars).

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mtz-65?productLine=auto&subcategoryKey=&ignorecategoryid=true

• Baller

You don’t need a marine battery for a ski boat! Marine batteries are for things like trolling motors. You just need something that will crank that big V8. Standard group 65 battery is the size you need for your boat. Check your owners manual. If you don’t have one go to correctcraftfan.com.

If you’d like to ski skinned alive at that website log in and suggest that you need a marine battery for your Ski Nautique - and then stand back.

• Baller

@KRoundy I wish I could give pandas

Marine battery is a construction technique , not a differentiation between deep cycle and starting. Marine batteries come in both varieties. You want a marine starting battery in a ski boat.

• Baller
If you really want to crank that stereo (or other accessories) for long periods of time, you want one cranking battery and one deep cycle battery wired with a switch. For skiing this is usually unnecessary, though I do have one friend who has that set-up so he can play his stereo at the dock for hours.

• Baller

Group 65 fits best and is oem size recommendation. As far as automotive vs marine vs deep cycle, Walmart or Odyssey, buy what makes you feel best.

FWIW I’m, for lack of better words, “supported” by a battery supplier. I have 21 batteries, none of which I pay for, they maintain and stock on their time and dime. In my 2 Ski Nautique’s they put group 65 auto’s in.

• Baller
I have also found that it helps to have a battery maintainer plugged in between outings or over winter, for the trickle charger to keep the battery closer to 100-percent. I have had expensive AGM batteries only last 1-2 years due to infrequent use of the boat without the maintainer. I have had my batteries last many more seasons now with the use of one.

After being on this forum and Correctcraftfan, it seems there really is no hard and fast rule as to whether an automotive or marine battery should be used. However everyone seems to agree that a "starting" battery should be used. I did look at my Correct Craft manual after 15 years and found that a 650 CCA minimum, 120 AH battery is recommended. And on the underside of the battery box cover a sticker that said BCI Group #65. What does that mean? Still, no conclusive documentation on using a marine battery vs automotive. Heading out this week to find a new battery, since this spring has been so bad in northern Ohio, I have plenty of time.

• Baller
Marine batteries have a tougher build and you want a starting, not deep cycle battery, as has already been mentioned. If you are worried about starting after a lot if stereo use, a second battery would work, but extra weight is not our friend. Instead, you could get one of THESE. Pretty light, you could throw under the observer's seat, and in the back of your tow vehicle when not using the boat for other emergencies.

• Baller
Do you frequently use your boat in rough, open water? Hope not, as ski boats don't handle that very well. If not, just put an automotive battery in it. Marine batteries are built stronger to withstand jarring. Otherwise, meh.