Radically different electric engine tech

Than_Bogan

• Baller

Full disclosure: My cousin is an executive at this company.

https://indigotech.com/

But it's been developed in secret, so I didn't even know he was working on electric engines at all until this site launched this week. And I think this is something pretty fascinating. Basically, they move the power to be right at the wheel, which seems to result in a wide variety of very significant gains.

Might something analogous to this be possible for boats someday? Arguably it's far simpler in a boat because you only have one propeller!

• Baller

My plan is to bolt an electric drive to the outside of the Focus truck rear wheels just to use in the snow country for 4wd. Kind of like chains. Remove the motors when roads are dry for fuel efficiency and handling. Maybe a motor source for me?

@oldjeep I looked at those motors. They are quite expensive but looked like a good turnkey system.

Electric boats are not so constrained by (unsprung) weight and size. There are other options. But the efficiency of the newest designs might aid an electric boat project.

Interesting times.

Eric

• Baller_
@BraceMaker: I would think the motor would create some resistance or motion (power), depending on what is called for, to basically move or dampen the motion of the spring / damper unit. Will be interesting to find out, and probably fun to calibrate.

• Baller_
Correct Craft is working on electric options. They started a new company, Watershed Innovations, that is exploring all sorts of new ideas. Right now they are focusing on a super quite electric bass boat, but surely their innovations will find their way to ski boats. They have a really sharp guy at the top of the engineering ladder, even though he may be a wakeboarder.

Lpskier