2008 Mastercraft 197TT v 1993 205

Tryathlete

• Baller

That's a tough comparison. The 205 is pretty good at some of the slower speeds, not as good as the 190s of the same years but if you play with bow weight it does really well.

But if the boat is a 2008 and has zero off - could be worth it. Pretty common unfortunate theme on team talk over the years were people buying 197s and having wake concerns.

• Baller_

My bet is that the 1993 205 wake will be preferred to the 2008 197. That 205 was built from one of the all time best hulls.

Edited: the 197TT might be slightly better than the stock 197. If I recall correctly, those may have received some hull modifications that the regular boat did not get.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I had both of those boats give or take a year. The 197 was a better ski boat in my opinion. Better tracking, stronger motor, better wake with some chine spray at shorter lengths. But the 205 was a better recreational boat hands down (tubing, wake boarding, etc) due to a bigger slow speed wake

How does the 2008 TT compare to post 2013 new hull? I skied begins a 2018 and it was magnificent—similar to new Nautique 200. Is the ‘08 TT even close to the tiny wake these latest gen hulls produce? I’m likely to buy the 08 due to economics because the newer gen hills are $20k more.

• Baller
I own a 2008TT and absolutely love the boat. I ski at shortline so I do not have much input on the wakes at 15off, but I can tell you that I have never had anything but positive feedback from my guests and their experiences skiing behind the boat. On top of that, it is the most bad ass looking boat I have ever owned. Multiple times a summer I am approached by other boaters who want to buy my 197TT on the spot.

• Baller

The wake at 15 and 22 off is not going to be as good as the wake on a newer Prostar, 200 or Malibu. That said at 22 off at 32 and 34 mph it never bothered my and my son always loved skiing behind it when he was learning. You do need good body position to get through it and I know some women and men that disliked skiing behind it. Frankly a 08 Malibu Response LXI will have a better wake at 22 off than the TT and it has a bit more room in it also.

I do love the 197 though. It drives great and has a great trick wake also.

• Baller
I have a 2013 197 WT (last year of the model). I had a Malibu LXi previously and I did notice a "bump at 22off, more so at 32mph than at 34. I no longer notice it. So the reality is it must be there (since I noticed it initially), but unlikely it is terrible, as it no longer bothers me. I can't speak for 15 off. The boat itself, in my opinion, is absolutely beautiful and a pleasure to drive. Good luck with your choice. And I'm ready to give my friend @Chef23 a pull when he is ready...haha

• Baller

I was in your position 2 yrs ago. I put post here and few other forums. I had a 1997 MC Prostar 205. Of course your 1993 is better slalom wake then my old 1997. I’m Just intermediate skier. Famiky and I slalom ski (kids are 11 and 9 yrs old) But like to barefoot, kneeboard, tube, wakeboard, and also trying out trick skis. Occasionally go thru slalom course when my dads buddy puts it up. Anyway - the Prostar 197 is by far the sexiest beautiful boat. At time I could not find exactly what I was looking for, found some 197s boats but I don’t like towers (I understand the pluses of them but prefer extended pylon if i want to raise rope up). Inboard boat is sexier without the tower IMO.

I was choosing between 2015/2016 Malibu TXI OR 2012/2013 Prostar. At the end once I saw this 2015 TXI (it’s sexy too, great wake too) I went with it - super happy with my TXI.

I’ve been on a 197 too and I know I woulda been super happy with it as well.

Again I’m just an intermediate skier so I’m correcting myself so either boat and it’s wake be fine for me (I’m gonna send Terry Winter vids to get his help).

Post whatever u end up getting.

• Baller
in my ski group we have a 1994 205 and a 197 (not sure of the year) - I prefered the softer wake on the 205 at 15 off. Doesn't seem to be an issue for the short line skiers. But I have to say the 197 is one of the sharpest boats ever made.

• Baller

2008 TT was the all black one. Those are LOUD unless the owner put mufflers inline. I've got a lot of time behind one of these, mostly at 28 off. At that length, it's not bad. Maybe slightly more firm than my Malibu Response LX, but not night-and-day difference. Skiers I know who've skied it at 15 and 22 tend to agree it's not great but also not terrible. It won't be close to the newer Prostar in terms of wake quality at those lengths, especially at lower speeds. The current Prostar hull is really really nice for beginner lengths and speeds. Probably the best ever.

It is a sexy boat though. 197 lines are awesome. As others have said, see if you can ski it.

The jury has rendered a verdict. The 2008 197TT is a great slalom tug. Everyone who has skied behind it says it’s better than the 205, and I like it too. 15-22 off there’s a soft hump but at shorter lines it’s amazing.

We all like the Zero Off but we’ve had to learn to ski behind the boat on keyhole turnarounds to avoid hitting light speed!