Dehumidifier for boat after skiing

phntmski

• Baller

I live about an hour from where I ski. Boat lives on a dock with a covered lift. As much as I would like to air it out 2 or 3 hours before covering it and returning home that is seldom the case. Normally I leave the cowl open about 30 minutes while I wipe it down, change clothes and load up. Then I cover the boat with a breathable cover and head home. I make an effort to keep as much water out of the boat as possible and I've been using that DampRid stuff with some degree of efficiency but I occasionally find signs of moisture .

I've heard of people using electrical dehumidifiers but I worry about leaving electric devices running while I live an hour away. I'm also concerned about keeping all the electronics dry on my Team 200. I'm interested in hearing what others are doing, safely and effectively.

• Baller

I only use a fan in my boat 24/7. It helps. I need to do more however my camper seems to always take priority in the moisture control department. I will say to always crack motor box open to let that moisture escape. Don’t forget to put some sort of a barrier down to prevent rust stains.

I do use “an dryer” like the one pictured above in my camper. It makes a world of a difference but after 2 years of just that I decided to add a dehumidifier.

As far as having electric running in a boat unattended I wouldn’t worry. Make sure it’s on a GFIC and it’ll be ok. For a while I ran my boat fans on a timer for 12 hours just to limit consumption.

• Baller

+1 for sunbrella. The covered hoist does slow drying.

One trick I stole from another skier is put a thick beach towel across back floor of boat. Jackets, gloves, rope, etc go on this during skiing. After skiing you remove the 10lb soaking towel and have a fairly dry floor, even if carpet. Not sure what your floor is, worth a try.

• Baller

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a Sunbrella cover. Towards the end of last season I started using the beach towel across back carpet method.

The last 16 years I've had a 91 ProStar where the PP was the only real electronics in there. Sometimes the guages in that boat would fog a little at first set. Just bought the 200 last Oct. I have no desire to replace the electronics in it if it's something I could've avoided, ever!

• Baller

I have used these as wintertime/ ‘keep it dry’ units in both of my boats, and have had no moisture issues since deploying them 8 (fishing sled) and 4 years ago (Ski Nautique).

About the same wattage as a light bulb, no moving parts to overheat/fail. Might need two units if you put’er away, ya know. Wet.

Ironwood Pacific DryWave 1000 Air Dryer | Helps prevent Moisture and Mold in Cool Damp Environments | Ideal for RVs, Boats, Cabins | For spaces up to 1000 Cubic Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BTAQIG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0oROCbCECCP01

• Baller
There's nothing like just keeping it dry to start with. We NEVER get in the boat after skiing, we always ski to the dock. We don't put the rope in the boat until after wiping down and then a good shake and sling out water.

• Baller
I used to keep my boat covered in a temporary carport and I skied year round in a rather wet climate. Moisture in my boat when stored was a major concern. I put two Golden Rods in the engine compartment and a cheap oscillating fan in the back of the boat. If I forgot to plug in the fan for a week or so I would have a bit of mildew, with the fan I had very few issues, even parking the boat after towing home in the rain with weeks of near 100% humidity.

• Baller

I think I'm gonna go with; 1) keeping as much water out of the boat as possible, 2) leaving cowl open while getting ready to leave, 3) prop corners of cowl with a couple 1× 4s and, 4) a small box fan. Along with the Sunbrella top. If I have moisture problems I'll modify with either a Golden Rod in the engine compartment and/or the DryWave.

Thanks for all the input!