Fat Tire Bike????????????

oldmanskier

• Baller

My ankle (bone on bone) has got to the point I cannot hike like I want to.

After 3 to 4 miles the hiking is not fun.

I use to ride bikes some.

I am interested in purchasing a Fat Tire Bike.

If I bike it would be manly light trail riding or when in South Florida ride along the beach or in small town bike trails.

Any one have any recommendations or suggestions for a good quality brand Fat Tire Bike for under $700?

Thanks

oldmanskier

• Baller
@twhisper had a fat tire bike made by SPOT(?) at Liquid Zone last week. I rode it around the lake a few times and it was awesome. It was a single speed belt drive and was really fun to ride. Unfortunately I think it probably cost way more than$700.

• Baller

My motto on bikes has been to buy used like new so I look on Facebook Market, Craigslist, or some areas have high end bike listing websites.

Unless you ride in sand or snow a good trail bike might be all you need. There are a lot

More of those out there than fat tire bikes. At least in NW Ohio anyway.

I bought a Specialized flat bar bike with carbon fork and disc brakes for $300 off Facebook Market. Originally around $1k. Had about 300 miles on it. Bike resale value is lousy.

• Baller
Regular mountain bike. Fat tire bikes are the new fad to look cool. 99% of them I see are on pavement, when their place is snow and loose sand. If you want to work harder then buy one, otherwise get something with reasonable size tires.

• Baller_

After years of being ridiculed at tournaments for riding an old Trek (1991 trek 980) around the sites by my west coast buddy's I bought a new trek two weeks ago. I bought a 29er as fat tire bikes are kinda useless for a urban assault or hard off road riding. If one wants to muddle around and drink beer I guess these fat tire things work for that.

Side note new bike was with tax $1011.00

Fat bikes are cool, but I would recommend a 27.5+ hard tail (27.5 tall x 2.8-3.0 wide). Much faster and easier to pedal compared to a fat bike, and way more fun. The specialized fuse is a great bike, and the Surly Karate monkey is a sweet bike too.

If you do get a fat bike, make sure it is a 1x11. Cheaper fat bikes will have SLX 1 x 10 which lacks the lower gears you need for climbing. As long as your lowest gear is 46-50 teeth, you should be good.

Been thinking of getting a fat bike since last fall. Actually looked at a specialized Fat Boy yesterday. Getting close to pulling the trigger. I will be riding dirt ,sand roads and trails. Also packing significant photo gear. And just off road riding. I want to get out of the house for workouts. living on a public lake riding it in winter would be fun. And I would not be the first one on the lake ice! The dog is getting old and does not want to hike much anymore.

• Baller

Jakecuz23 gave you great advice for what you want to do.

A good 27.5 will do what you need well and be more enjoyable than a fat tire in my estimation. As a result you will use it far more which is the real goal. I have both in high end configurations so I have a reasonable basis for judgment.

• Baller

The rolling resistance of a FTB is much greater than a conventional MB or a 29er. So if your sticking to sand, snow ir graound that is soft the FTB is great. If you ever want to ride on hard pack dirt or pavement the other style is much more suited. I agree on a name brand used, over a box store new! ($.02)

• Baller

Anyone know anything about a Trek Roscoe.

I looked at one today at the Trek Bike store in town and it appeared to be a good quality.

The tires were (27.5 tall x 2.8 wide) and Hydraulic brakes.

I am 5' 7" (squatty body), the bike was a size 15.5 and felt pretty good to me when I rode it.

It had a seat that you pulled a lever on the handle bar and it could be raised up and down while riding.

I have been out of the bike world for so many years the new technology is very impressive.

Thanks for all the input form my bike post.

oldmanskier