Denali C75 ..41off ..Boom!

Wish

• Baller_

@adamhcaldwell, in your videos, it seems to me that the driver is cutting the power right at the gates on your 41. Is that the case and, if so, why?

I am amazed at how that ski handles. It’s very intriguing. It’s just unique and kind of captivating to watch the finish of those turns. Thanks for all of your innovation and drive to bring this to market.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
@MISkier that’s injury avoidance. At 41 he’s going to be taking hits going out the exit gates. In April practice there’s no reason to take unnecessary hits. Cutting the engine means he’ll get pulled a lot softer out the gates.

• Baller

@MISkier Well....a few reasons i can think of...

1. Hes looking out for for skier safety. Its tough for the driver to always know if the skier is taking a ton of energy to 6 ball and going to end up with a huge pile of slack at the back of 6. Pulling the throttle back a touch basically prevents unnecessary injury like a blown disc or ruptured bicep tendon trying to hold on to slack just to ride out of the exit gates. No need for injury in practice for something dumb. Save that for a tournament when it counts. As skiers were too dumb to just let go practice or tournaments.

2. He is probably looking out for his safety. If you have ever witnessed someone run shortline and take slack out of the turn (especially at the exit), you probably have seen the handle slingshot into the boat. A ski handle hitting you in the back of the hear, or hitting a windshield is not cool. This would help prevent any of that happening. Since its hard to let your ego down, most skiers ALWAYS try to hang on no matter what at 6 ball. especially with the adrenaline pumping. Risk for injury is high there for skier and driver.

4. Our lake is short. Getting off the throttle earlier helps us get settled down in the water a little quicker, easier, safer, with more room to work with at the end of the course.

4.. Finally, helps saves some fuel. No need to hammer out the exit gates at full speed. When running hundreds of hours a season on a 6.0L boat, every gallon counts.

• Baller
That’s a big score. I’m not sure 43 is any easier at 34mph. That being said, 41 at 36mph is much harder than 41 at 34 mph. I’ve seen Asher and Rossi crush 41 at 34mph and I’ve seen Twhisper crush it 4 passes in a row but to run 41 at 36mph pushes them and other pros to their absolute limits.

• Baller
@adamhcaldwell I have quite a bit of footage and have posted some to Facebook but I am usually a bit reluctant as I don’t know if these guys want footage of them crushing 41’s right before big tourney’s, it can put a lot of pressure on them. I figured they would post if appropriate. Seems like this time of year is fine though, I’ll see what I can dig up.

• Baller
The video post was an attempt to show other people running short line passes. I certainly did not mean to upstage or compare anyone to one of the greatest skiers of all time. Perhaps I should have posted in another section on this forum. @Horton @adamhcaldwell brings up a great point in that there is a demand to watch video of short line skiing, do you have any suggestions? As to why no Big Dawg skiers are riding the Omni, the HO Pro ended up being better for them. The Omni is fantastic, but it takes a skier who can use the entire ski, as Asher does, whereas most the rest of us mortals like to hang out comfortably near the tail.

• Baller

Seriously though, watching that makes 41 look easy and just motivates me more!

I remember watching Parish from the boat years ago... 2010/2011 riding a 200$ fiberglass ski with a couple patches of carbon and some shape tweaks @AdamCord Cord made to it.

41 looked like an opener and he kissed the tip of the ski at 4 ball@43. It was the first time I had seen any “Pro” from the boat, My jaw was on the floor.

• Baller

@adamhcaldwell very impressive skiing!

I’ve trawled through this thread and don’t see my question brought up yet, although @matthewbrown references it in his post: on previous incarnations of the Denali (and in GUT theory) it has always seemed that you guys spent a lot more time on the front of the ski into and through the turn (like Asher and all the other pros - notably CP, AM and TW who seem to bury the front in the approach), in the videos on the new ski I’m not seeing nearly as much of the front in the water and yet you are still achieving everything you are trying to do. Has this been a deliberate focus to appeal to the majority of “tail riders” or a welcome side effect of all the “tweaking”. (Or being critical would you like to see more of the front of the ski in the water in the approach?)

K

• Baller
I have wondered the same thing, especially with zero tip rise on the ski. But in the videos it seems Adams ski tip never gets down in the water even at the apex of the turn. My concern would be the potential to spear a bouy instead of riding up and over it from a ski with more tip rise, creating the potential for serious injury. Ski seems to be a more tail centric ski?

• Baller

Wasn't planning on posting any more video, but here are the first set on the "Small" c75 straight out of the mold.

Went with boot back 1/4" but don't think it was totally necessarily. Super impressed with this ski.

32, 39, 41

Fin setting .740, 2.480, 6.750, 27.5.

• Baller

You have to remember that these are only a handful of sets out of hundreds to explore and learn what this ski wants and needs. I'm not looking for perfection to post video. 6 is 6 in my book. A ski needs to be able to scrap.

@Wish I didn't cut to 43. I tried to run back to back 41s. The second one I popped the handle at 5 ball, and then ran one more. Out of memory on my phone though and missed the last two. Excited to try one of these in a tournament someday.

• Baller
After reading every word written in every Denali thread ever, I am super stoked to finally read about a Denali made for a little feller like myself. I’ve sent my deposit and am ready to take that ski off of Adam’s hands when he’s tired of running 41’s on it. Yahoo!

• Baller

I just returned from a trip to Charleston to help @adamhcaldwell put the final touches on the c75 shape before he starts pressing production skis next week. Perfection is always the enemy of the good, but we felt that there were some small tweaks that we could make to the shape and ensure that the ski is truly next level.

I couldn’t be happier with the results. My hands were bleeding by the end of the week from trying so many shapes and settings, but the result was undeniable. Hopefully we can build enough of them.

Caldwell 41off 34mph:

He also had to try it out at 36mph to see if it works there too:

• Baller
@KRoundy The ski CAD is done and the first production mold will be done within the next few days. We expect about 1-2 weeks before skis begin shipping to skiers on the wait list. Anyone who is on the fence might want to get on that list ASAP. I suspect demand will far outpace production capacity pretty quickly.